MFK Member
Aug 23, 2023
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
51-60%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello all, this is my first time posting here so sorry if anything is wrong about this. A week ago I was at a local fish store and saw a baby Oscar with strange eyes and mannerisms. Of course I was instantly drawn to him and got him. I put him in 10 gallon grow out tank with some platy fry (I have tanks to put him in later). The next morning I realized that his eyes were almost potato shaped and lumpy. I am pretty sure he’s blind and he runs into stuff occasionally. When he is “hunting” pellets he gets completely vertical and strikes near the pellet. Other than being a little slow he seems normal. I am on day 4 of paracleanse and Maraycn.

IMG_2685.jpegIMG_2683.jpegIMG_2681.jpegIMG_2674.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello all, this is my first time posting here so sorry if anything is wrong about this. A week ago I was at a local fish store and saw a baby Oscar with strange eyes and mannerisms. Of course I was instantly drawn to him and got him. I put him in 10 gallon grow out tank with some platy fry (I have tanks to put him in later). The next morning I realized that his eyes were almost potato shaped and lumpy. I am pretty sure he’s blind and he runs into stuff occasionally. When he is “hunting” pellets he gets completely vertical and strikes near the pellet. Other than being a little slow he seems normal. I am on day 4 of paracleanse and Maraycn.

View attachment 1527209View attachment 1527210View attachment 1527211View attachment 1527212
The eyes look fine too me. Oscars have bulging eyes 😆

• Haha
Reactions: FINWIN

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
He might have been in poor water conditions too. Keep the water warm and super clean. He looks a bit thin...eating ok?

sophaba

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2023
The eyes look fine too me. Oscars have bulging eyes 😆
Here is a better view of his eyes. I know they have big eyes (I have two adults) but when he moves them they look like they are lumpy, instead of smooth. If I could link a video it would make it easier to see.
IMG_2728.jpegIMG_2727.jpeg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Could be an illusion of the color. Some O's look like they have balls for eyes! Keep water clean...if his eyes improve so should the vision. I think the copper color on the eyes is very striking. I have seen Oscar's with more lumpy eyes before. Nothing unusual about vertical pellet strikes. Try putting a skim of sand at the bottom.

Last edited:

sophaba

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2023
Hi all, just an update:
So today when I checked on the little dude I noticed that he is completely missing his left eye. I have no idea how that happened, but he is acting normal. His color has darkened back up.

Attachments

• Sad
Reactions: FINWIN and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store