Baby ST making a comeback?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Not just stability.No indo is as outgoing and active as a widebar.Did you check the thread that I mentioned?

Coues

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2010
New Jersey
shua71;4927530; said:
400+ for a small fish. Wonder how long until they're all wiped out in this new location..
Very true.

As far as them being eaten, I'd imagine not many will reach the dinner plate when they are fetching $400+ for a 3" fish here in the states.

Jose - Very good information. I tend to agree with you on all points.

rgonzales

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
where i dont wanna be
either way they look nice, its just a matter of if you think they look nice enough to pay the 400+

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Coues;4927691; said:
As far as them being eaten, I'd imagine not many will reach the dinner plate when they are fetching $400+ for a 3" fish here in the states.
That didn't stop the other ones from being overfished.

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
krichardson;4927682; said:
Not just stability.No indo is as outgoing and active as a widebar.Did you check the thread that I mentioned?
Do you own a ST that is out going?

All my IT tigers beg for food and is very out going.

I have not exp with any indo's being shy. My guess is you have?

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
krichardson;4927682; said:
Yup and my indo dats are out going as well. Personally I can't tell from the tail pattern but people are arguing pretty much with stability. I have one out of six dats that is always 100 pct stable so I dont see why they aren't hand picked dats. I really have no opinion on what they are though.

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
Think about the 1000's of baby indo's that stayed over in asia(did not make shipment to america).

Out of the 1000's of babies, the 3 bars were sorted out. Now we are working with a "small" fraction of 1000's of baby indo's.

So now we have a "small" fraction of the 1000's and they all happen to be 3 bars. (carefully chosen).

After they hit about 4-5 inches. Just hand pick the more stable juvies with the beautiful 3 bars that look so much like the ST we all know and love.

These hand picked Tigers now have to be:
a. 3 bars
b. stable
c. 4-6 inches
by now.

Funny thing is during the time all these babies were going around. Everyone that bought mass quantities have had 2-3 indo's with st markings and I always called them faux ST's.

Now these faux ST's are either dead or selling as ST's from vietnam. You be the judge.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Some good posts from Wes in his thread:

2nd set is the true datnoid pulcher from chaopraya in Thailand. This fish has not been circulating for years now, only some large ones are still found left over from years ago. Non of these have been exported in recent years, this fish is rarer than the asian arowana by 1000 times right now! and I can't even get them.

Notice the tail band always sweeps into one., so with a total of seperate bands of 6 bands only. Large and small specimens, and their colors are usually bright golden color!

and now here comes the so called cambodian, vietnam, whatever, they often have split bars on one side or another, typically will have 7 bars, since the tail bar does not usually connect, or 8 if the split on one side is complete. they're the closest to a wide bar, some look almost identical. but their colors usually have a gray overtone, some will stay nice and yellow, but most are not stable. I have experience with selling this fish and keeping them as well. here are some examles, and I belive this is the fish we have on hand now that we're dealing with. I'm not calling it a different species, but it could be, or at least a geographical variation of datnoid pulcher. they look almost just like a chaopraya, but the tail is different and color stability is usually not there.

some may remember the one in the first picture, was from my shop, it was always black, so this guy jarret talked me into selling it, then he moved it, and it turned bright! this and look at the tail band!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
bomber;4927702; said:
Do you own a ST that is out going?

All my IT tigers beg for food and is very out going.

I have not exp with any indo's being shy. My guess is you have?
I was a little confused about the first question that you asked.I thought you might have been mocking my choice of words or description but then you used the same words to describe your indos.To answer your question though,yes I do own an ST that is outgoing as was the previous ST that I owned and all others that I had the pleasure of seeing up close.Most of all of the indos I have had over the years have acted shy at one time or another.There were those that I've had that were not shy but the two different fish just act different in my observation.Good for you if you have been fortunate to have very active and outgoing indos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store