Back From Vacation- Almost All Fish Dead!!

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Update. 90% water change this AM, removed all dead fish, and then cleaned the tank. By cleaned I simply mean after the incident vacuumed what little there was and wiped the walls down which I do routinely any way. Now tonight, water is crystal clear, parameters obviously good, and all fish left are 100% perfect I can tell! I don’t get it!?!?

I’m at least happy I feel like it’s stable again quickly. Obviously will keep a close eye on everything next several days.

IMG_1890.jpegIMG_1891.jpegIMG_1893.jpeg

Reactions: ruincccc

ruincccc

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2021
Update. 90% water change this AM, removed all dead fish, and then cleaned the tank. By cleaned I simply mean after the incident vacuumed what little there was and wiped the walls down which I do routinely any way. Now tonight, water is crystal clear, parameters obviously good, and all fish left are 100% perfect I can tell! I don’t get it!?!?

I’m at least happy I feel like it’s stable again quickly. Obviously will keep a close eye on everything next several days.

View attachment 1541841View attachment 1541842View attachment 1541843
Beautiful setup

GrindeL89

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2009
St.Catharines
This is sad to hear sorry for your loss. What's curious to me is some the fish mentioned have a reputation for being rather hardy and based off the test you did with parameters I don't think it's water related. I'd guess
1. Disease
2. Possibly power outage but that would be a long period outage to kill off these fish.
3. Possible electrocution surge leaked from heater?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Bummer, sorry to hear it. It sounds like an Ammonia spike, but I don’t think that your test readings back that up. Did your buddy maybe top off the tank without using a dechlorinator?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
I know, I thought all the things mentioned above. He did not pour anything in tank either.

Heater still in there and never had an issue with it. I don’t think the power went out per my neighbors, but even if it did I think with my setup that’d take an awful long time to kill the fish….but still, they told me it didn’t.

The fish left I just checked again this morning. 100% perfectly healthy. I’m so confused! Sucks about all of them but really disappointed for the GT and Featherfin that had come so far!

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
This might be a little out of the box, but didn't you just put in some new decor? Perhaps there was something on or in the new decor that was harmful to your fish.

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
I did actually add a new/larger sponge filter. Everything else had been in there.

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Agreed lol. Just saying, that was the only new thing in the tank.

I still think it was something to do with removing the FX4 and going back to two AC 110’s as this was a couple of days before the fish died. Maybe even just transferring the media messed my cycle up….but still I never had any trace of ammonia.

Chalking it up to a fluke I guess.

I’ve always been good about maintenance and nitrates have never once been higher than 20 when checking. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store