Bad News...

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
That's a pisser :(

Hopefully everything works out with your male though, I know you were hoping to succeed with a pair, are you thinking of trying again with a female or just sticking with the single male?

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
CTU2fan;2792650; said:
That's a pisser :(

Hopefully everything works out with your male though, I know you were hoping to succeed with a pair, are you thinking of trying again with a female or just sticking with the single male?
I will try another female, just maybe not right away. I think I want to concentrate on power feeding this male to get him growing. Once he reaches 6" (he's 4 1/2" now), I'll feel a lot better. That shouldn't take long. Then I'll be looking for another female. I'll either use 6" as the minimum size or get a smaller female and grow her out in a seperate tank until she hits 6" or so.

I feel like 6" is the magic spot where a fish is pretty much safe in my tank. I've added smaller fishes in the past. And while all have survived except the female dovii, they would sometimes get harrassed when they were smaller. This harrassment would stop when they'd get around 6". Or if I added a fish that was already 6" or more, they wouldn't get harrassed at all.

At least with this, I've relearned a lesson. Always trust my instincts.

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
terd ferguson;2792755; said:
I will try another female, just maybe not right away. I think I want to concentrate on power feeding this male to get him growing. Once he reaches 6" (he's 4 1/2" now), I'll feel a lot better. That shouldn't take long. Then I'll be looking for another female. I'll either use 6" as the minimum size or get a smaller female and grow her out in a seperate tank until she hits 6" or so.

I feel like 6" is the magic spot where a fish is pretty much safe in my tank. I've added smaller fishes in the past. And while all have survived except the female dovii, they would sometimes get harrassed when they were smaller. This harrassment would stop when they'd get around 6". Or if I added a fish that was already 6" or more, they wouldn't get harrassed at all.

At least with this, I've relearned a lesson. Always trust my instincts.
Yep. Plus if the little guys get harassed they don't always grow the way you'd like.

Tilapia-mariae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
Perth, Australia
I defiantly believe in the don't run if you don't want to be chased theory, seen it too many times. My 4" festae will feed right near my 9" oscars mouth whereas the same sized dempsey will not.

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Tilapia-mariae;2793168; said:
I defiantly believe in the don't run if you don't want to be chased theory, seen it too many times. My 4" festae will feed right near my 9" oscars mouth whereas the same sized dempsey will not.
Very true. I was growing out a JD and firemouth for my big tank, when they got to the size of the convicts that were already in there I put them in. The JD swam around naturally, the FM took off when any larger fish swam near. Next morning he was gone...still not sure who ate him.

jag14

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
knoxville tn
Sorry to hear about your loss. Good luck with the rest of them.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Gruff Master

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Fl
www.alexteralbury.com
Sorry to hear about your loss. Good luck with the rest of them.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Lol...For a second I thought Terd made a new thread. I haven't seen anything new from him in a while. Did you check the date on this thread?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store