Balancing/diffusing Oxygen and CO2

webdesigner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
Dallas, Texas
www.repeatnone.com
I want to keep fish in a planted, CO2-injected tank. Would anybody like to share their experiences with balancing both Oxyegen and CO2?

I've pondered using a modified gravel vacuum technique to catch bubbles from an airstone thus circumventing surface agitation via one big bubble every few minutes (as opposed to hundreds of small bubbles a minute). Thoughts?

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
How many plants do you have? What types do you have? Do you have strong lights and good ferts? What type of fish are you planning on?

There is no need to add O2 to the water, you are just inhibiting the amount of CO2 that can be diffused into the water. If you are planted heavily enough, the co2 will be turned to O2 by your plants in a high enough amount for your fish.

webdesigner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
Dallas, Texas
www.repeatnone.com
Cool, then I should be kosher. The tank in question is heavily planted with a wide variety of plants. I use several types of water column ferts and Flourish Tabs for root feeders. The species kept are:

Colisa chuna - 2x Honey Gourami
Trichopsis pumilus - 3x Sparkling Gourami
Parosphromenus deissneri - 1x Licorice Gourami
Neocaridina denticulata sinensis - 20+ Cherry Shrimp
Caridina japonica - 5x Takashi Amano Shrimp
Physa acuta - 20+ Tadpole Snail
Melanoides tuberculata - 100+ Malaysian Trumpet Snail
Pomacea bridgesii - 1x Apple Snail

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Just so you know, Caridina japonica is an invalid name, and the common name for the shrimp you are talking about is amano shrimp, not takashi amano shrimp. The valid name is Caridina multidentata.

webdesigner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
Dallas, Texas
www.repeatnone.com
Cool, even though it was renamed so recently, I wasn't aware b/c I've only been keeping aquariums for about 6 months. Luckily, I found MFK early on so I still manage to regurgitate more Latin and correctly identify more fish than the employees at my LFS. I can't wait to tell them they need to update another label. ;)

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Actually it isn't an update, nor a new name. Caridina multidentata is the original name given to this species. Caridina japonica was a name later given to what was believed to be a new species, but was instead an old species.

webdesigner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
Dallas, Texas
www.repeatnone.com
I didn't mean to imply the scientific name had been reinvented. I hope this faux pax is forgivable, as I assure you, it was inadvertent. :grinyes:

Sometimes issues of semantics go over my head. :duh: Pray tell, what word should I use in place of 'renaming' to describe the renaming of a species? :grinno:

If you're a Practical fishkeeping member, please post your response as a comment to this article:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=1078

:ROFL:

As well, log into Wikipedia and edit the first paragraph of the Amano shrimp entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caridina_multidentata

:ROFL:

All kidding aside --I'm just another catalyst to your 10,000th. Remember that in the event that you consider banning me. :)

mgamer20o0

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
so cali
www.bobstropicalplants.com
co2 and o2 are independent. do you have a air pump going now? if your fish are fine without one then they will be fine with co2. if you just turn the co2 up slowly drop your ph by 1 you will have about 30ppm give or take. you wont have a problem unless you do something stupid like me and blast it. live and learn....

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store