banjo catfish

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
In a moment of insanity I put my group of banjos up for sale. Fortunately customers here are just as flakey as Craig's, so I ended up keeping them. I started feeding them market shrimps and I was rewarded with a new Mottling. The light tan marks are almost white. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/SrLWUO3tQsc

Ps: been looking for chaca chaca with no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
Looks like I missed a few segments of this thread:

Jay the eel tails don't have any special requirements IMO. The only problem I had was when I tried larger tankmates that found their eel tails movements irresistible. I would guess the same as Sharptooth about that swimmer, mine rarely surface. Even my apisto and checkerboards would nip at them. Asides from that, they are fairly hardy. Oh and another note. I learned the hard way that I needed to be careful when rescaping. I've already pinned 2 over the last few years. By the time I realized it, they were already dead.

Mr mom. I'm hoping to see a full tank shot with your white clouds. Those were one of my favorites. They would look great with your aquascaping.

WarrendaFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2009
Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Looking good Cali. If you lose your mind again and want to part with your eel tails and don't mind shipping them I would be happy to add them to my collection  I didn't know you were considering selling them..

Anyway...
You think the market shrimp aided (or changed) their mottling/pattern?

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Looking good Cali. If you lose your mind again and want to part with your eel tails and don't mind shipping them I would be happy to add them to my collection  I didn't know you were considering selling them..

Anyway...

+1 these are the coolest little cats! I.wish they got 2 ft long!

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc

Anyway...

I wanted a change, had a offer for a asian. Made big plans, went to bag the Goldie's, then changed my mind. Had those guys to long. The banjos work out well with them also. It's good to know I have a back up home just in case something comes up though.

As far as the market shrimp, perhaps it's been conditioning them well. I practice the same routine food(saki hikari, algae wafers, frozen blood worms) and maintenance, the only difference was the addition of shrimp to their usual diet. Their patterns have really popped since then. I drop one whole shrimp in, and pull it out half hour later. Banjos, Goldie's, and pleco go for it.

Snake: if they got 2" that would be awesome.

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Seriously I am going to order some of these guys! So if you want to sell them soon.... Pm me.

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mr. Mom

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Alberta
Guess it's time for an update, things have been super busy so the tank has become somewhat overgrown again. The last 3 cardinals were quickly picked off, and I've since added approx. 20 - 25 white mountain minnows.
so here's that full tank shot for you calichai
IMG_1065_zps17872ebb.jpgIMG_1080_zpsdce102b8.jpg

Managed to score a couple of picks of the 2 eel tails in my tank. Gotta admit they're considerably smaller than the other 4 Banjo's
IMG_1067_zps968f631a.jpg
IMG_1066_zpsb5d698b2.jpg

Doesn't seem to matter where these guys go in my tank ... they always seem to blend in. I'm beginning to think this guy is a male (based of the info you've all shared with me)
IMG_1068_zpsa24d2c93.jpg

Took this pic to show how they'd lulled me into a state of belief of non-aggressiveness. I've had 8 or 9 of these shrimp with them for several months now. Still they've been left alone. I've watched the shrimp walk back and forth across the Banjo's bodies, and nothing ever happens ... that's why I gladly surprised when I discovered them hunting the Cardinals that had been in here.
IMG_1090_zps122ce1ad.jpg

But that brings me to my next update ... Saw something pretty cool last night. Just need to finish uploading the pictures first.

IMG_1065_zps17872ebb.jpg

IMG_1067_zps968f631a.jpg

IMG_1066_zpsb5d698b2.jpg

IMG_1068_zpsa24d2c93.jpg

IMG_1090_zps122ce1ad.jpg

IMG_1080_zpsdce102b8.jpg

Mr. Mom

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Alberta
Last night I went into the room after the kids had gone to sleep.
Immediately I spotted this Banjo and ran for my camera ...
IMG_1096_zps86db214b.jpg
Upon the first picture ... the Banjo began lowering itself to the tank bottom. But when I came in it appeared to be standing on its tail.
IMG_1097_zpsbdb3b920.jpg
Then I realized what was above it (I'm beginning to think this one's a female ... thanks again everyone)
IMG_1100_zpse7bac370.jpg
IMG_1101_zpsc9adabb1.jpg
We're hunting .... Yeah ... Dang I probably just wrecked the show.

I noticed her barbs were constantly on the move ... but slowly ... feeling whats around.
(But pay attention to the snail in the 2nd pic here ... it starts on the Sword Plant but ends up elsewhere)
IMG_1102_zpsde2b1459.jpg
IMG_1106_zps181076a7.jpg
IMG_1108_zps7433c720.jpg

Eventually the Banjo settled to the bottom again ... figured I'd spoiled the hunt once again. But then noticed that the snail had transferred from the plant to the Banjo itself.
IMG_1109_zps26403c2d.jpg
Thought that was odd .... especially when the Banjo kept letting it move across its body. Anytime I'd seen a snail start going on a Banjo (or any fish I've kept) they've always shaken it off. But this Banjo wasn't doing so ... started getting concerned something may be wrong.
IMG_1110_zps8574dc7e.jpg
Wrong I was .... I almost missed it. In an instant the Banjo swung its head around and gulped down a White Mountain Minnow. The snail flew off the body landing on the Banana Plant instead.
IMG_1111_zpse83a6064.jpg
She twitched her body a bit as she swallowed her meal ... Show was over in a blink of an eye ... Guess I was excited, because I woke my kids up then had to explain to them what I was doing in their room at 11:30 at night.
IMG_1112_zpsfaee324c.jpg
Still haven't figured out why they leave the shrimp alone ... but glad I was able to watch one of my Banjo's do a hunt, so to speak.

IMG_1096_zps86db214b.jpg

IMG_1097_zpsbdb3b920.jpg

IMG_1100_zpse7bac370.jpg

IMG_1101_zpsc9adabb1.jpg

IMG_1102_zpsde2b1459.jpg

IMG_1106_zps181076a7.jpg

IMG_1108_zps7433c720.jpg

IMG_1109_zps26403c2d.jpg

IMG_1110_zps8574dc7e.jpg

IMG_1111_zpse83a6064.jpg

IMG_1112_zpsfaee324c.jpg

zoomed.com