Bare Bottom Tanks?

moonchild1970

BICHIR BABE
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2008
Spokane, WA
How many of you have bare bottom tanks? How many of you use sand? I'm getting a 55 G tank in about a week and I'm thinking I want to switch from bare bottom to sand.

What kind of sand do you all use and where do you get it?

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
BB or sand, all depends on what you want.

BB is much easier to take care of but can be unsightly to some. IMO sand is more calmer for fish than BB.

I have both at the moment depending on what tank I use. The sand I use is pool filter sand. Very cheap, nice, and easy to work with. Do a search and you will find loads of information here on MFK.

Kepp us updated!

Hapdude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2006
Deer Park, WA
Hi MC, I have evolved to bare tanks over many years, after wearing myself out trying to keep gravel clean! Now I just use large rocks and driftwood chunks, with some floating plants! Painting the bottom of the tank black or dark brown also helps calm bichirs down and brings out the darker colors in them! That's what works for me.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
if I decide todo barebottom I paint the outside bottom glass black or a sandy tan color -Anne
When i use substrate i use fine crushed gravel its a bit larger grained than sand and heavier too doesn't kick up as much
vacuuming sand is easy when you notice sand going up the siphon lift the siphon slightly it should fall back down

Druu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
The problem I've found with play sand is presentation. Fish crap is clearly visible, so I would recommend a darker color of sand or fine gravel.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
i prefer barebottom tanks ....

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
barebottom = :headbang2 check out mine that I recently set up...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store