Barramundi perch, Lates calcarifer, 24"+ in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
My little guy from Wes has grown up a bit from the starting 2" in Aug 2015.

April 2016, at around 1'+:

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Good to see some Aussie fish getting represented!
Have you ever thought about getting a Murray cod for 1 of your giant tanks? They can get up to 6 foot in length so should fit into your "bigger is better" criteria.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Good to see some Aussie fish getting represented!
Have you ever thought about getting a Murray cod for 1 of your giant tanks? They can get up to 6 foot in length so should fit into your "bigger is better" criteria.
Haha! Thanks! But my name can be applied equally to the tank size: bigger is invariably better!

Yes I've given Murray cods two tries so far.

[1] Got a pair of 5"-ers from Wesley Wong in 2015 and lost them at about 1.5' I think due to Malachite Green treatment: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...8-murray-cods-2-year-old.688006/#post-7754726

[2] Got a trio of tiny guys 2.5"-ers from Wes again some months back, end of 2017. $65 each. Before I knew it, I think a rescued yoyo loach managed to kill them by relentless chasing and pestering overnight in a 240 gal with lots of furniture and hiding spots. Unfortunately, I didn't know much about the loach at all.

Reactions: Ogertron3000

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Haha! Thanks! But my name can be applied equally to the tank size: bigger is invariably better!

[1] Got a pair of 5"-ers from Wesley Wong in 2015 and lost them at about 1.5' I think due to Malachite Green treatment: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...8-murray-cods-2-year-old.688006/#post-7754726

[2] Got a trio of tiny guys 2.5"-ers from Wes again some months back, end of 2017. $65 each. Before I knew it, I think a rescued yoyo loach managed to kill them by relentless chasing and pestering overnight in a 240 gal with lots of furniture and hiding spots. Unfortunately, I didn't know much about the loach at all.

Wow$65.00 each for the cod? Sorry it didn't work out, especially at those prices. Still, you have a very impressive collection of fish and tanks to keep you happy.
It's funny the price differences between countries, a highly illegal RTC will set you back $1500 AUD here when they occasionally pop up, a cod here at 2.5 inches would be about $5 AUD, the Barra would be similar price or $25.00 whole deep fried with chili sauce in my local thai resteraunt!
Be happy to send some more over to you if you want to pay shipping!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
barramundi is best served steamed
Wow$65.00 each for the cod? Sorry it didn't work out, especially at those prices. Still, you have a very impressive collection of fish and tanks to keep you happy.
It's funny the price differences between countries, a highly illegal RTC will set you back $1500 AUD here when they occasionally pop up, a cod here at 2.5 inches would be about $5 AUD, the Barra would be similar price or $25.00 whole deep fried with chili sauce in my local thai resteraunt!
Be happy to send some more over to you if you want to pay shipping!
Hey! Watch yourselves! Post pics of your dogs and I will post best Korean recipes for dog dishes.

Seriously though, thanks. Wesley Wong of RareFish, Los Angeles, CA is the only one or close to it, who imported Murray cod. Usually they are priced significantly higher but I have his favor.

Thanks for the offer but I have no importer license, neither time or money to play with international fish shopping.

Maybe, once I buy my first used oil tanker and convert it into a giant floating fish pond, I will go around the world and get the biggest fish of all the species I can get, or at least those at the top of my database list (third link in my signature, there is a rating of the biggest f/w fish in the world filtered by size).

Reactions: Oz fish guy

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I think china make better dog dishes.... lol

But in all seriousness , with your tank size have you tried rearing the Queensland grouper... some hobbyists are rearing them in freshwater... not sure how long they last though

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Damn, wolf fish and baramundi combo beautiful both of my favorite species in the same tank. Were those wolf fish from Wes as well?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I think china make better dog dishes.... lol

But in all seriousness , with your tank size have you tried rearing the Queensland grouper... some hobbyists are rearing them in freshwater... not sure how long they last though
Fair enough. Maybe China does but then we'd be missing my point. Moreover, if we were speaking of China, I'd suggest to post pics of your pet cats, rats, tarantulas, and giant Madagascarian cockroaches too ;)

Yea, I've seen them majestic Queensland grouper offered by Wes with some great info from Wes too that they can live in f/w. My impression though this could / would be a challenge. That coupled with high price turned me off but I have not written it off my bucket list.

Damn, wolf fish and baramundi combo beautiful both of my favorite species in the same tank. Were those wolf fish from Wes as well?
Yup. Wes was doing major remodeling in his fish house the summer of 2015, so he let me buy lots of fish at rather ridiculous prices - I got 11 shipping boxes from California from him 24"x18"x12" each. He threw in some freebies (without even telling me).

A quartet of Hoplias lacerdae from Argentina were some of them. Smaller wolves don't scratch me exactly where I itch but these have grown a bit on me. Never had any others. No $$$ for Wes' 2' aimara right now for sale :)

Reactions: Dloks
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store