Bartoni Cichlid tank size?

burzumaske20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
Illinois
I am curious what is a suitable tank size for the Bartoni cichlid? I've tried to browse around with google and I know notice people have multiple cichlids in a 180 gallon with Bartoni's added. I was wondering if a 36 gallon bow front would work as a temporary or permanent home? They don't seem to grow as massive as a Midas or a Oscar, but I figure I would ask, before buying one.

Reactions: Jakec96

Yank-Keeper-Scott

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2010
Gold Coast, Qld, Australia
seeing as though they max out at around 7" i would go nothing less than a 55 gal if you want to house this fish comfortable for life.
im not sure on their temperment, but i would say as of now a midas would destroyt it.

a 36 boyfront would work temporarily, but dont get caught up in it, a 55 is ideal. a 75 for a pair would be nice.

burzumaske20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
Illinois
Ok, thank you. I was going to put a Bartoni inside the bowfront temporarily, but I figure I would ask first if it could be long term or not. I know I am going to upgrade my tank to a 300 gallon or above and I am keeping the 135 gallon tank as a back up. I may take the 135 gallon and use it for the Bartoni, Salvini, Convict, Firemouth, and I'm sure I can add something else that wont grow massive in the long run.

gnuisance

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2008
Northern New Jersey
If you are going to keep bartoni I would recommend getting a pair. That way you get to see their fascinating breeding coloration. You would need a tank larger than 36 gallons though. They are fairly aggressive with conspecifics and even with their mates. Check out the cichlid room companion site, Juan Artigas has written some great articles on these fish as well as the rest of the herichthys genus. In each article he usually includes a section on keeping them in aquariums. He recommends 400 liter tanks for keeping and breeding these fish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

I'm growing out 5 in a 75 gal with 5 carpintus. I've had them since May, and find them to be slow growers. They are holding their own with much larger carpintus, that are 2"-4".

they were approx 1", in May the largest is now 2.5".

Endo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
So Cal

I'm growing out 5 in a 75 gal with 5 carpintus. I've had them since May, and find them to be slow growers. They are holding their own with much larger carpintus, that are 2"-4".

they were approx 1", in May the largest is now 2.5".

Bringing this thread back cause I want to ask Duanes,
Are bartoni's hardy fish or do they stress easily/prone to bloat like their cousin the Beani?
I understand a vegetarian diet is essential and lower temps, but whats the min. tank size for a pair?
Im interested in getting some of these endangered guys, possibly from cichlid connection.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Regalblue

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
MI.
I have my pair in a 50B (M4"/F3") with 5 Panamense (2") 77°, NLS 2mm once a day/ every other day.
They are doing great

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since I've only had them 5 months I'm no bartoni expert.
As stated above, I also find Juan Miguels info from the Cichlid Room Companion site extremely valuable, and Lee Nutalls Central American scene fabulous.
I always try to do research on, and provide as many of the natural habitat parameters for my cichlids as possible, temp, water flow, tankmates (if any).
They seem to be very similar to beani, so I treat them much the same, and have not had bloating issues with either.
Temps in the low to mid 70sF, moderate flow, daily water changes, so nitrates are in the 2-5ppm range.
Water comes out of my tap at a pH of 7.6-7.8 with an alkalinity of about 90-100ppm.
And I don't encourage a speeded up growth rate, feeding only once per day with a fast day every 2 or 3, although I do encourage algae for constant grazing. The green tank wall in the pics is due to algae.

I use also planted sumps, and terrestrial/marginal plants in any tanks that get sun, the bartoni tank has a large potted papyrus as part of the decor and they spend much of their time amidst and around its stems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store