Beef Heart for Cichla

Miks786

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Hey guys I just wanted some clarity on beef heart for juvi peacock bass?

Is it advisable too feed them it?( Not as a staple diet)
Will it boost growth?
Is it harmful with digestion?

Thanks in advance

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It's probably no better for them than goldfish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Fresh water fish, be they Cichla or any other cichlid, have not evolved to eat beef.
It has a type of fat that is not well processed by fishes digestive system, and in the end can damage their liver.
Recent studies have shown this, and even the die hard discus breeders who once championed beef heart, are starting to realize the problems it can cause.
There is another thread where RD has posted the studies.

Reactions: prez1me and J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just to add, BH has absolutely nothing to do with improving color in a fish. Someone needs to brush up on their reading comprehension skills.

Good luck with your bass.

Last edited:

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Years ago I used to read quite a bit of some breeders feeding it to their discus.It seemed to be quite popular in some circles but I wondered back then what prompted them to use it in the first place.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Years ago I used to read quite a bit of some breeders feeding it to their discus.It seemed to be quite popular in some circles but I wondered back then what prompted them to use it in the first place.
It was popular at one time because in the day all we had available , was tetra flake foods to choose from . So we were always looking for high protein , low fat , low cost easily accessible foods in the Midwest to boost growth and get fish into breeding condition. plus like all fads a breeder has success so everybody jumps on the bandwagon.. now there are better choices available.

Reactions: RD.

prez1me

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2017
Tulsa Oklahoma
It was popular at one time because in the day all we had available , was tetra flake foods to choose from . So we were always looking for high protein , low fat , low cost easily accessible foods in the Midwest to boost growth and get fish into breeding condition. plus like all fads a breeder has success so everybody jumps on the bandwagon.. now there are better choices available.

prez1me

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2017
Tulsa Oklahoma
I totally agree beefheart is not a good food source for any kinda fish, I used to feed it my discus, it fouls the water and plugs the fish digestive track. I currently have 15 red Turk discus that are very big.the only food they have ever eaten is tetra colour bits and flake foods, water changes is what grows the out fast.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store