"Beginner" freshwater ray?

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
Personally I have 3, 2 female marble motoro and 1 male retic, in a 375 (96×36×24) imo they'll eventually need bigger. The retics are going to be your smallest most widely found but can be touchy to keep alive, but no matter what any rays you choose are going to need alot of space, ALOT of filtration and an almost endless food supply. They're a great deal of work but well worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Kevin (didysis) is a good source for ray info and evrything he has said so far is spot on... but one thing you need to know... is that a stingray produces an inordinate amount of waste compared to a normal fish due to there physiology so you can keep a male ray in a 125 for quite some time.. you need to filter the tank probably triple what you woul normally need and seriously consider not adding many tank mates.
Okay. I had heard they were a little dirty, but not that much. I probably will wait until I do a large tank build before I acquire any rays. I'd rather have everything they need to a lifetime setup ready to go than get one and be scrambling to get an appropriate sized setup built and ready for stock.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Personally I have 3, 2 female marble motoro and 1 male retic, in a 375 (96×36×24) imo they'll eventually need bigger. The retics are going to be your smallest most widely found but can be touchy to keep alive, but no matter what any rays you choose are going to need alot of space, ALOT of filtration and an almost endless food supply. They're a great deal of work but well worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I look forward to the challenge. :)

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
You could house 2 to grow out in a 125 and keep those two in a 48x48x20. Tank mates are usually silver dollars. Geos. Other good sized fish. Nothing super aggressive.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App
Sorry, I just realized my dimensions were off. They are suppose to be 72"x72"x24". He basically took the long sides off a couple of 125 gallon tanks and placed them on a sheet of plywood. With the updated and correct info, would this tank size hold more rays? Or would it just be better to stock just 1-2 Rays in this tank size if I intend to stock tankmates? The tank size would be roughly 540 gallons.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store