Beginner in need of help building a tank for Catsharks

Xgpmcnp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2016
Quebec
So recently I've started to gather information on shark ownership, and I realise I am not ready at ALL to own a shark. But instead of giving up I decided to get more information so I can own one and know how to take correct care of one.

Since I'm a complete beginner in not only shark ownership, but also fish ownership, I would love it if anyone on this forum could share any kind of information about the hobby.

For exemple, I'm looking into Chain Catsharks but is there other kinds of Catsharks that are more suitable? Are Catsharks too hard for a beginner? I'd rather have a shark that's not too inactive which is why I'm looking into Catsharks, but the pet's safety is much more important than my entertainment.

I've read the gallon size of a tank is about 400 gallon, is that right? I'm thinking of owning either a single shark or 2 sharks, a male and female, in the hope of getting eggs. But shark husbandry is more of something I'm planning in the next 5-10 years and not so much a short-term idea, so starting with a smaller tank would be optimal for me.

I've also read the water temperature is about the low 60 Farenheits, or 15-16 Celcius. Is that information correct? What kind of cooler would I need for that, and is it costy?

For the food, I've read about fishes and shrimps but seeing videos of them being fed (they're just too adorable, I can't help look at those videos) suggest they eat some sort of snowflakes.

Since Catsharks are saltwater animals, would it be hard to get my hand onto some saltwater considering I do not live near the ocean? How often would their tank need their water replaced? I also don't live very close to anywhere that would sell saltwater I believe so if it needs change daily that would pose a big problem.

Aside from a tank, tank decorations, a cooler, food and water (I understand I should have somewhere to put the sharks when changing the water, and I should own a second cooler in case the first one breaks) does the shark need anything specific? Filtration and pumps are things I've heard but I haven't been able to find concrete information

On the more legal side, is it legal to own a shark in Quebec? It's probably really late to ask but none of my researches said it wasn't. I can't say about husbandry being legal though as I haven't done research on the matter, but owning one or two shouldn't be a problem right?

That's all the questions that come to my mind right now. Of course I'm not very informed so my questions are all about things I've heard of; all type of information would be extremely appreciated. Sorry for the wall of text!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome to MFK :) I applaud your effort of obtaining the information you need to keep and properly care for a catshark.:)

1 yes some catshark species are hardy
2 a 400 would be the minimum for a pair of Marbled catsharks.
3 I kept my catsharks with temperature at around 79 degrees, chain sharks require cooler water.
4 Shark keeping is equivalent to keeping ray's both fresh or marine they need the best filtration you could run for them due to the bio-load their waste produces. Also water changes are very important they don't like chlorine or unstable water parameters, and copper products can kill them.
5 feeding them is not difficult can be weaned on frozen such as shrimp, chuncks of fish thawed . Had 2 that also enjoyed squid.

Keep up with the research and be patient and you should succeed with keeping them.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Forgot to add that you don't need to take them out to do water changes lol. Just make sure the temperature and salinity level 's are the same replacing old water.

Xgpmcnp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2016
Quebec
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm very excited to join this community!

Would it be easier to raise cool water sharks or hot water sharks? I believe one requires LEDs and one requires a cooler. Considering I live in a cold region of Quebec (it can get to -45 Celcius in winter) I feel like a cold-water shark would be more viable as over half the year is under 15 degrees Celcius by default.

Say I buy shrimps from the store, like regular human-food store, could I feed them to the shark? Like frozen shrimps you'd put in meals. I feel they're too big for the sharks but I'd rather ask about everything I can

How often would you say the water needs changing? Keep in mind I've never even raised a goldfish, and have 0 knowledge about keeping pets other than cats, so basically explain to me like I'm five or something XD

Xgpmcnp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2016
Quebec
Also, do you know anything about the prices? Like how much it would cost per month to feed the shark, how much money a 400 Gallon tank would cost, things like that.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If this is your first fish imo you should start off with some other saltwater species first, so you can develop experience. I think you meant chiller for the cooler water specie tbh I only have raised marbled and bamboo catsharks.

Xgpmcnp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2016
Quebec
Yeah I realise I don't have much experience, which is why I want to gather a LOT of information before getting myself a shark. I honestly have no interest in other fishes, I just really love sharks and it's been a kid's dream for me to get one.

Since I lack so much experience I think of getting a shark next year and spending this entire year collecting information and money to take good care of it.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If this is your first fish imo you should start off with some other saltwater species first, so you can develop experience. I think you meant chiller for the cooler water specie tbh I only have raised marbled and bamboo catsharks. My first pup cost $149.00 US this was around 1993.

Reactions: Xgpmcnp

Atumi

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2014
Australia
Hiya, ill try and answer any questions you have.

1st off you're probably right going for a coldwater shark up in Canada im not too familiar with your climate but i know it's pretty damn cold alot of the time.

If you wanted to go warm water and try something other than a chain cat you have more options than i can name for small(ish) sharks. i can go into more detail on individual species if you want.

With sharks, volume isn't as important as footprint, for a chain cat minimum you would want about 8x4x2 (LxWxH) to keep a pair or 3 for life.

Saltwater isn't a big deal, you buy salt by the bucket for (I think) $20-40 per 200 gallons worth in north america, and then mix it with Dechlorinated tapwater or RO water if your tapwater isn't good quality. Water changes are fairly negligible part of the budget in a well set up shark tank.

Any human quality (Marine) seafood is good for sharks, just cut them up into manageable pieces for the size of shark. you will also want to look into a vitamin supplement aswel, Mazuris' shark & ray tablets are well recommended.

I would suggest checking out sharkraycentral.com its probably the best resource on the net for sharks at home.

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
You need to learn the ins/outs of simply having an aquarium before tackling something more demanding like a shark IMHO. There are alot of small tips/tricks you pick up over time and prevent catastrophes due to human error, not to mention mechanical ones. Go out buy a simple biocube and start learning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store