Beneficial Bacteria temperature?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
86 to 92. great for cycling, some folks not agree but to cycle a smaller tank up, I drop 2 super krill in and walk away, just let them get fuzzy. leave the filters running, tank does not get nasty, will average around 2ppm ammonia till cycle starts kicking in, around the 6th week.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
keep in mind you are not really looking to cycle the tank but the filters. old fish water is just that. nothing good about it.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I am definitly getting that ammonai alert !

Nice

Yeah I was talking about safestart literally never saw nitrite ammonia never went above .5 and was done in around 5 days... not to mention had a clown loach in the tank that never showed any signs of stress. One dose and walk away lol still monitor water everyday though

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
86 to 92. great for cycling, some folks not agree but to cycle a smaller tank up, I drop 2 super krill in and walk away, just let them get fuzzy. leave the filters running, tank does not get nasty, will average around 2ppm ammonia till cycle starts kicking in, around the 6th week.
Yeh ok, thanks.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
If i do it like i planned, could i cycle the tank, with raphael catfish instead? 1 the first day, another one 2 days later, like i planned?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I am no where near as experienced as the other members yhat are responding to your thread but I would not add any fish other thsn the giant danios until you ammonia and nitrite readings are 0 and your getting nitrate. This is what happened to me like I said I was cycling a 40 gal for some time over a month and started getting nitrites another two weeks go by and I figure its almost cycled so I added my planned stocking which was some clown loaches. Not sure if one of them was sick already or the crappy water quality messed with their immune system but I needed up having an ich out break the meds killed all my bb and I had to recycle the tank had I just been patient none of that MAY have happened just my two cents I would stick to just danios

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
is there BB found in the water column? yes. there will be some found in the water column.
HOWEVER, it will not be very much, compared to the surfaces in the tank and on the decorations/filtration media.
realistically, transferring some tank water will have little to no effect in a cycling process.
same with squeezing out a sponge. all you're likely to do is get debris into the new tank without the bacteria.

best method is to take that sponge filter and shove it in the new tank.
then fishless cycle the hell out of it using 100% pure ammonia, not the bubbling/frothing junk.
attaching a pre-seeded filter is the key way to getting a quick tank setup, and most of us have extra filters lying around to achieve exactly this.
it's not much out of the pocket to go grab another sponge filter and small airpump to use as a seeding filter. well worth it imho.

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
Ok. How much would adding small rocks, from a cycled tank help?
The sponge filter i could borrow a sponge from has, 2 sponges, so im thinking i can take 1 of them and put inside the FX5 with all the other filter media?
Water from a cycled tank isnt gonna help at all? I could also put 1 sponge in with the filter media, and squeeze the other directly into the water, and put 1 back in the sponge filter, from the other tank.
Sorry I haven't replied sooner I totally forgot that I posted in this thread, The rocks and gravel will have bacteria on them, so will driftwood, decorations and any surface in the old tank and it will help seeding those to the substrate and all other surfaces in the new tank. Taking one sponge from the old filter and putting it in the media in the FX5 in the new tank will also help spreading bacteria to the new filter. Squeezing the other sponge in the new tank water will give u waste and debris and the only good thing about it is providing a startup ammonia source for the bacteria you've put on with the rocks and sponge inside the FX5. Water from the cycled tank will only give u nitrate which is the end product and u need to remove it with a water change so that has no point at all. You can put any fish u like right away in the tank because u already have bacteria in there on the rocks and the sponge in the FX5 and u will not get ammonia as long as u don't add too many fish that produce too much waste too fast. I can't tell u how many fish to put and how soon because it depends on the fish, obviously one danio will not produce the same amount of waste as one adult pleco for example. Theoretically if u had two sponges in the old tank and u put one in the the new tank u will be able to add little less then half the fish from the old tank into the new tank right away. However some bacteria will die off from hunger because u will not have an ammonia source for them until the fish waste starts breaking down so don't add half the fish from the old tank, add less then that.
Note: If u leave all the fish in the old tank and remove one sponge from it u will probably get a small ammonia spike IN THE OLD TANK because u have less bacteria in there to handle the bio load and will need a few days till they multiply to have enough to handle the same bio load.

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
The beneficial bacteria has maximum mitosis between 72 and 84 degrees. SeaChem has a seeding product that works optimally at lower temps and does not make hydrogen sulfide gas. Provide plenty of ammonia, warm temp and lots of seeding and you should have a cycled tank in 6 weeks.

Good luck,

Glenn

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Ammonia alert doesn't work!

You don't need fish for a cycle either! Just let a bit of food rot in the tank during the cycle and keep feeding the bacteria in this way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store