Benefits of airstones/bubble wands?

Kribensis4me

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2012
Arizona
Thought this would make for a good thread on MFK and have not seen it talked about much.

For cichlids and other fish. Everyone talks about tank size and filtering. But what about any benefits to a bubble wand or/and a air stone. Does anyone have any insight on this topic?

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Sponge filters ,run on air are a GREAT option for increasing oxygen (and cheap too)cichlids will love the extrs o2:popcorn:

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
The only benefit to any sort of bubble maker is to aerate the surface of the water. If you have enough surface agitation via filters than there really is no need. Water can only absorb so much Oxygen. Some people just use them because they like the way they look or certain fish like to swim in the current produced by them.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Breaks surface tension, at the very least.

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
helps in circiulation as well. brings the water from the bottom up to the top

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
If your using a closed loop system like canister filter. If the spray bar is below the water level it is necessary to oxygenate the water. And those who keep the temps in the mid 80's need a airstone.

Sent from my LG-P999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Kribensis4me

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2012
Arizona
If your using a closed loop system like canister filter. If the spray bar is below the water level it is necessary to oxygenate the water. And those who keep the temps in the mid 80's need a airstone.
Thanks for pointing that out. All my canisters are like you described. Even the output to the tank is underwater. And my wifes tank has a Rena XP3 canister and when topping off the tank she covers the spraybar, and weights till she can hear the spraybar before changing water or topping it off again. THANK YOU SO much for pointing that out. Im going to get her 90g, and my 2 125g tanks a bubble wand. Thanks for pointing that out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store