Best Algae Eater

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
Rich

I've used the combo of BN plecos and nerites in my 180 and they do the trick just fine. There is some algea on driftwood and rocks, but I think it adds a natural look to the tank. Get some nerites from Ms. Jinkszd at the next CCA meeting.

Jon

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Problem with mag float is that it doesn't work on dw and plants....

Brown algae (diatoms) - nerites and ottos
Hair algae - SAEs
Other algae - some plecos
I agree, as a matter of fact it is the SAE I was thinking of not the Flying Fox my mistake the SEA has the black lateral line that extends throught to the end of the fork in the tail, where on the Flying Fox the black lateral line ends at the biginning of the tail and is nowhere near as usfull as the SAE on algae. SAE's are the best for BBA and ottos are excelent at keeping the annoyiing brown stuff off but I don't think either are a viable option for the fish your keeping and the snails will become fish food too. So all kidding around aside the Busheynosed would be the best choice for your set-up. I still like the Mag-float fo the glass.;)

white15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Highland Park, IL
Here are some options:
Caridina multidentata

Malaysian Trumpet snail

Ramshorn snail

The snails should breed pretty easily so you could just breed them in a 20g and then dump them in. You will have enough so that while some will become food, the rest will hide and do the job. You also get some decorative shells :D

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
I am 100 percent sure any attempt to put shrimp in my tanks will only result the shrimp become tasty snacks for my fish. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

-Rich

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I have lots of algae eating plecos. The best IMO is my L052(L168). Pretty much eats nothing but algae, but.......

that being said, all plecos contribute far more waste to a system than can be justified by algae eating abilities alone. They create alot of waste, so you are basically just trading one issue for another. Not saying not to get one, just pointing out that nothing comes for free...

If you dont have plants to worry about, just cut back on intensity and duration of lighting periods. It wont dissappear overnight, but with a little tweaking you can find a balance to elimintae most algae problems.

white15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Highland Park, IL
Rich, the shrimp are cheap so they can clean the tank and then become food :D But again, I'd go with the snails (especially the trumpet, they are pretty popular in cichlid tanks especially ones with sand)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store