Best American cichlid pair/single male for 75 gallon?

Best American Cichlid pair/single male for 75 gallon

• electric blue texas cichlid

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • amph sagittae

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • amph lysoni

• T-bar cichlid

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • cuban cichlid

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • talamancaheros sieboldii

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • chiapaheros grammodes

• parachromis friedrichsthalii

• other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
You can keep fish exceeding 12+ inches in a 75. No way a 8inch fish is the biggest fish you could keep. You could have a Green Terror pair, A red devil pair, Oscar pair, Texas pair, faschiatus pair, you could keep a parachromis freiderstahli pair in there, flowerhorn pair. A 75 has a great layout and is nice and wide as long as you create territory’s and also allow for enough open space to swim. It all depended on the personality of the fish you get and how you setup the tank.
If I could house my future pair in a 125 or larger I would but right now in my life that is not the case. Yes those fish could live in a 75. Could they thrive? Some of them, maybe. A lot of the them I would think definetly not. You seem to be new to this forum so just so you know a lot of the people on this site have tons of knowledge on these topics especially the moderators on this site. I tend to go to them for most of my questions and I can rely on them to always give me the best information. I did see one of your recent threads and appears you bought an adult green terror and put it in an uncycled aquarium and wondered why it was getting sick. I think you should go figure that out before giving out bad advice.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Most adult pairs of medium sized new world cichlids (6" to10") in nature, will set up and guard a territory about the equivalent of @ 250 gallons. In that size area, they will break off chase at about 4 ft in any direction, from a species considered an intruder cichlid , or prey, and at its territorial boundary, return to its center.
Larger cichlids (10+"), have territories that are often much larger.
Most average tanks are no where near that size, and this is why we see so many posts asking, why is there so much aggression in my community? why are my cichlids killing each other? why has my male killed his mate? why are they sick.?
After seeing this territorial behavior in nature first hand, is the reason why I set up the compromise rule for my tanks of a "minimum" 10 gallons of water per inch of adult cichlid. (L + W+ H) meaning, for example, a pair of JDs with male, 6 " L x 2" W x 2 " H, should get no less than a 100 gallon tank., with No other cichlids, but with some non-cichlid dithers.
Beside the territorial reasons, as any cichlid grows, its waste output grows with it (not only solid waste, but also and especially urine). The number and size of water changes a 2" juvie requires, are not the same for the same cichlid at 5" or 10".
Where an aquarist with a 2" juvie oscar might only need to do a 50% water change once per week, a 10" oscar might require a 50% water change every other day, especially if the tank is a size of a puddle or a rut in the road, say a 55 or a 75.
I believe this is why we see so many large cichlids turned into LFSs, scarred up form HLLE and generally unhealthy.
They live in tanks the size of a rut, and in fish urine soup.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Now isn’t that just truth. It’s sad because I seen so many casual fish keepers keep their two 12 inch oscars in a 55 and do their 25% water changes every other week. Smh

TigerTalon1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
If I could house my future pair in a 125 or larger I would but right now in my life that is not the case. Yes those fish could live in a 75. Could they thrive? Some of them, maybe. A lot of the them I would think definetly not. You seem to be new to this forum so just so you know a lot of the people on this site have tons of knowledge on these topics especially the moderators on this site. I tend to go to them for most of my questions and I can rely on them to always give me the best information. I did see one of your recent threads and appears you bought an adult green terror and put it in an uncycled aquarium and wondered why it was getting sick. I think you should go figure that out before giving out bad advice.
So what are you saying that the fish I named cannot live in a 75 as a pair? Or are you saying that I don’t know what I’m talking about because I’m new to this forum and why don’t you look at that thread before you say anything more about the GT.

TigerTalon1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
Most adult pairs of medium sized new world cichlids (6" to10") in nature, will set up and guard a territory about the equivalent of @ 250 gallons. In that size area, they will break off chase at about 4 ft in any direction, from a species considered an intruder cichlid , or prey, and at its territorial boundary, return to its center.
Larger cichlids (10+"), have territories that are often much larger.
Most average tanks are no where near that size, and this is why we see so many posts asking, why is there so much aggression in my community? why are my cichlids killing each other? why has my male killed his mate? why are they sick.?
After seeing this territorial behavior in nature first hand, is the reason why I set up the compromise rule for my tanks of a "minimum" 10 gallons of water per inch of adult cichlid. (L + W+ H) meaning, for example, a pair of JDs with male, 6 " L x 2" W x 2 " H, should get no less than a 100 gallon tank., with No other cichlids, but with some non-cichlid dithers.
Beside the territorial reasons, as any cichlid grows, its waste output grows with it (not only solid waste, but also and especially urine). The number and size of water changes a 2" juvie requires, are not the same for the same cichlid at 5" or 10".
Where an aquarist with a 2" juvie oscar might only need to do a 50% water change once per week, a 10" oscar might require a 50% water change every other day, especially if the tank is a size of a puddle or a rut in the road, say a 55 or a 75.
I believe this is why we see so many large cichlids turned into LFSs, scarred up form HLLE and generally unhealthy.
They live in tanks the size of a rut, and in fish urine soup.
I’ve never heard someone say that a pair of jack Dempsey need a MINIMUM of 100 gallons. I’m not trying to start any arguments and I know you have your knowledge about the hobby but in my opinion a 55 gallon would be the minimal for a jack pair. As long as there is structure in the tank and places where a fish can get out of sight and of course have non cichlid dithers like giant Danios. Heck I might even be able to have a jack pair in a 40g breeder if you do it right, to me it’s all about the layout of the aquarium and as long as they have 2-4 inches of room to turn around and open swimming space while still providing hiding places and territory’s created by caves and rocks, and most important: water changes

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
So what are you saying that the fish I named cannot live in a 75 as a pair? Or are you saying that I don’t know what I’m talking about because I’m new to this forum and why don’t you look at that thread before you say anything more about the GT.
Well yes I am saying most of the fish you mentioned could not thrive in a 75. Yes the layout is very versatile and opens up more opportunities than say a 40 or a 55 but an Oscar pair. Really? I’m not saying you don’t know what your talking about just because your new to the forum but you seemed pretty ignorant saying the opposite of what most people were saying. Learn to learn. Their is a lot to learn on this site that is really hard to learn anywhere else. I researched for over a year on YouTube and when I found out about Mfk I found out half of the stuff on YouTube is false. If you want to put those said fish in a 55/75 you go do it. No ones stopping you.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I've had a pair of aggressive Venezuelan pikes in a 90 gallon, and they did quite well for a while (around a year), at over 12". I then had a pair of 5" panamensis where the male killed the female, in the exact same tank, with same layout.

There is a lot more that goes into it than tank size. But for a beginner, a larger tank makes everything 10x easier. Recommending a "minimum" tank size for a touchy setup like a CA cichlid pair doesn't do anybody any favors, and if you don't have documented personal success with the same of very similar setup (assuming you don't, correct me if wrong), then you are just guessing, and shouldn't really be offering the advice. No offense meant, but at MFK we don't have any qualms about calling people out for questionable advice, in order to keep the level of advice given on this site high.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I'm sure a 12" oscar, or 10" JD can "exist" in a small tank (especially with lots of water changes), just as a human can exist in a prison cell, which might be the area equivalent, for the human individuals size.
Will the fish exhibit normal behavior, or will it sit in one spot and "sulk".
I see plenty of posts on MFK asking why their JD does nothing bit hide, or barely move from one spot.
I believe small tanks are often the reason.
In the video I took below, at about 1 minute, a JD pair defends its natural territory (equivalent to about 250+ gallons), and chases away any other cichlid, the length of about 4 ft. It doesn't bother with the live bearers, that it watches to assess the threat of danger and are not competitors.
Does it need more to "exist" maybe not, but will it thrive.
I believe most literature that allows paltry tank size for medium to large species, borders on the delusional.
Cristalino
and in the video below, note the space, JDs have in nature.
Eden2
Compare the JDs in video below, this Cenote is much smaller and crowded, note how torn up they are in comparison.
027 zps4b102ffd

Last edited:

TigerTalon1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
Well yes I am saying most of the fish you mentioned could not thrive in a 75. Yes the layout is very versatile and opens up more opportunities than say a 40 or a 55 but an Oscar pair. Really? I’m not saying you don’t know what your talking about just because your new to the forum but you seemed pretty ignorant saying the opposite of what most people were saying. Learn to learn. Their is a lot to learn on this site that is really hard to learn anywhere else. I researched for over a year on YouTube and when I found out about Mfk I found out half of the stuff on YouTube is false. If you want to put those said fish in a 55/75 you go do it. No ones stopping you.
Yes I believe you could keep an Oscar pair in a 75g Minimum it gives 21inches of width especially if you grow the Oscars from baby’s which might I remind you once an Oscar reaches 1 years old it’s growth slows down ALoT. You would definitely get breeding action by this point. If the male kills the female it’s simple find a new female put a divider in or a pot where the female can get inside and the male can’t.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store