Best bio filtration media for a sump ?

fubar530

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2012
california
I am building a 75 gallon sump tank to go under a new 240 gallon. In the research I have done a product called "biohome" seems to be very popular. Does anyone out there have any experience with this product ? I'm leaning toward buying it but am open to suggestions if there is a better product on the market. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Hey Fubar

Sorry haven't seen the product biohome, I tried googling it but its actually houses built out of foam thats coming up!

I myself love seachem matrix and pond matrix for sumps, for what you get $$-level of product its the best bang for buck even if the money factor is taken out I would always chose it over eheim mech etc. if its more of a wet or dry sump I would be going with bioballs. your choices are endless and everyone has a different point of view on media.

fubar530

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2012
california
Thanks for replying. I ran into the same issue when I first googled it also. If you google biohome filter media you should have no problem getting info on it. Seems to be very popular in Asia and Europe but it not commercially available in the USA until recently. I can get 2 kilo of this on eBay for $115. I know I know (kilos) sounds like a drug deal. Anyhow it appears to be the stuff that the pros use over there.

fishman09

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2011
Centralia, WA
Thanks. Those probably cost much less. I'll think about using those but still would like to hear some more ideas.

they are very cost effiecient. make sure you have good mechanical filtration or the scour pads will clog up as they will catch the extra detrius

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Assuming it's a wet/dry sump the best media as far as cost to surface area are probably pot scrubbers. These things are very cheap and work great for bio-media. The wet/dry chamber in my sump is full with nothing but these. Make sure to get the nylon ones not the metal ones.

mine look like these
stock-photo-nylon-pot-scrubbers-various-colors-9189490.jpg

Oh and make sure that you have decent mechanical filtration before them, or they will get clogged and require cleaning.

stock-photo-nylon-pot-scrubbers-various-colors-9189490.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store