best black wolf fish (hoplias curupira) tank mates are guppies?

mmajeran9

Feeder Fish
Feb 14, 2024
Yes it’s strange the title but let me explain myself..
I work in a aquatic store where we keep a black wolf fish in a sump and above the sump there is guppy aquariums and quite a lot of them so the story goes like this whenever someone was getting a customer a guppy and it jumped out of the net or the guppy jumped out of the aquarium it would end up in the sump where the wolf fish is and fast forward a couple of years the wolf fish is at adult size with about 40 guppies in the tank with it
They co exist peacefully the wolf fish isn’t even bothered by the guppies I think it’s quite amazing but it does make sense as-well (well I think it does)
There’s about a couple of generations of these wolf fish sump guppies that just live in the sump with him
So if anyone needs any wolf fish tank mates ideas consider guppies maybe
Just a cool thing I would like to put on the form
When am next in work I’ll take a photo of it and post it on here

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Ansorgii

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
South-West-Germany
There are quite a few predatory fish that can lose interest in small fish as they age.

This could be due to them not seeing the effort as worth it, them being to small to be noticed or the fish just not perceiving them as food as they are so used to what they get. (I suspect the latter the most)

I personally kept Guppies (and similiar) succesfully with Arowana (black and silver), lungfish, Oscars, Crenicichla and large Stingrays.

I also saw them being kept succesfully with some predatory catfish and even electric eels.

But these occasions are specific to the individual fish and can't be generalized.

Your wolffish might ignore them, so it is possible, but that doesn't mean others will aswell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store