best cichlid community you ever had or still do

jonjoker

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
manila, ph
When I used to run aggressive CA/SA community tanks, I found I was continuously changing fish around into different tanks and tweaking everything, rearranging etc. Making things work out for the long run is an ongoing process IME. GL with your new set up, don't get discouraged, remember that things don't always work out the way we want.
100% agree

jiant2520

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
Niagara Falls, New York
8-10 inches is when they're starting to reach full maturity. hell will break loose very soon or maybe youv'e started to see it already. and these cichlids will still gain over double their current mass when they reach 14-15 inches plus, that is if they live that long. most fishkeepers don't realize how big cichlids actually get because they dont take good enough care of them to make it that far. choose a few of your favorites and give them a large tank with territories to claim as their own. none of us really own a big enough tank to keep full grown large breed cichlids. green terra's tank is ideal for full grown bruisers

I agree they are starting to reach the size where I need to pay very close attention to these guys. As I stated, I'm not in opposed to having 4-5 fish in this tank again and I'm not blind to the fact that I will need to thin the herd here and there along the way. I'm just saying that as of now for the past year what I have has worked so far. I'am 100% aware that I can not keep these 12 cichlids at their full grown size and have already taken note of which I really would like to keep and which I will move to other tanks or sell. Also, I agree that Green Terras tank is perfect and very much ideal for these kinds of fish. His tank has given me many ideas... I bought some of my fish after watching his vids, which I'm sure others have too. I just like my tank the way it is now verses my tank with only three fish in it. Some fish keepers would rather put only what they can grow to full size right from the start... I would rather grow out a variaty of fish and pick and choose over the course of time which I would like to keep and which I would not. Again, I was just giving my opinion.

Gruff Master

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Fl
www.alexteralbury.com
When I first began keeping cichlids many years ago I was not as educated as I am now (so pack up your flame throwers people). My knowledge came from the sound advice of random employees at Petsmart when I went in to buy fish:eek:. So I ended up with a Jaguar, Red Devil, a male and female Jack Dempsey, Tex, a pair of Cons, and a Pleco in a 120 gal. for about 3 years. I wouldn't think of doing something like that now. I also changed the water about once or twice every two months and fed feeders every week. The fish were huge even though their water wasn't always the clearest (go figure). That being said it was the best community of large cichlids that I have ever had . Surprisingly the aggression was minimal for a long time. Things went south after the Jag and the RD decided that they needed more space. You guys should know what happened after that. I have some pictures of that old tank. Sometimes I look at them and shake my head and laugh. What in the world was I thinking?! The best thing about that tragically overstocked and poorly maintained tank is that once it failed it forced me to hit the books and search the web about keeping American Cichlids. I learned a lot and continue to do so everyday. I basically have species tanks now but I am working on a new community set up.

BayArea_510

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
$.HAYWARD CA
8-10 inches is when they're starting to reach full maturity. hell will break loose very soon or maybe youv'e started to see it already. and these cichlids will still gain over double their current mass when they reach 14-15 inches plus, that is if they live that long. most fishkeepers don't realize how big cichlids actually get because they dont take good enough care of them to make it that far. choose a few of your favorites and give them a large tank with territories to claim as their own. none of us really own a big enough tank to keep full grown large breed cichlids. green terra's tank is ideal for full grown bruisers

I agree they are starting to reach the size where I need to pay very close attention to these guys. As I stated, I'm not in opposed to having 4-5 fish in this tank again and I'm not blind to the fact that I will need to thin the herd here and there along the way. I'm just saying that as of now for the past year what I have has worked so far. I'am 100% aware that I can not keep these 12 cichlids at their full grown size and have already taken note of which I really would like to keep and which I will move to other tanks or sell. Also, I agree that Green Terras tank is perfect and very much ideal for these kinds of fish. His tank has given me many ideas... I bought some of my fish after watching his vids, which I'm sure others have too. I just like my tank the way it is now verses my tank with only three fish in it. Some fish keepers would rather put only what they can grow to full size right from the start... I would rather grow out a variaty of fish and pick and choose over the course of time which I would like to keep and which I would not. Again, I was just giving my opinion.
x2, its what i been trying to say i rather thin the ones that are mean down the line till i am left with only like 6 in a 96x24x30 tank

SkidMark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
in your mind's eye
it's all good, i was just adding my personal experience to your current situation. i'm the same way and don't like an empty looking tank either. i have fifteen crappie atm, but i'm considering changing back to jaguars, or maybe festae and i'll do it the same way you are by starting with lots of fish when small and sell some off as they grow.

i used to keep an 125 gallon all male parachromis tank and it was the best community i ever had. a jag, a loisellei, a freddy and a mota and it was my favorite for almost three years until one day the motaguense lost it and killed all three other fish over night. that's when i sold him and went to native american fish.

Hackney

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2010
Cincinnati
My first SA tank. Not an aggressive tank, but i like it:
125 Gallon
1x Rotkeil Severum
1x Red Severum
1x Green Severum
3x Salvini
5x Silver dollar