MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Hello all!

I’m currently in the process of setting up a 90 -gallon freshwater tank, which I plan on stocking with a senegal bichir, a bristlenose pleco, a leopard bush fish, and 5 keyhole cichlids.

I’m wondering what foods would be best for these fish? I assume bloodworms would be a good idea, but I don’t think just bloodworms is a good diet. If anyone has any recommendations, hit me with them!

Reactions: tlindsey

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Hello all!

I’m currently in the process of setting up a 90 -gallon freshwater tank, which I plan on stocking with a senegal bichir, a bristlenose pleco, a leopard bush fish, and 5 keyhole cichlids.

I’m wondering what foods would be best for these fish? I assume bloodworms would be a good idea, but I don’t think just bloodworms is a good diet. If anyone has any recommendations, hit me with them!
I would use a combo of omnivore and carnivore pellets and mix in some algae wafers and fresh tilapia n shrimp. Since all the fish are either omnivores or carnivores, they would all get what they need.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
bloodworms would be a good idea
Bloodworms aren't that nutritional but are ok for a treat or if you want to get a finicky fish to eat. There are a few species that have to eat Bloodworms for example the Elephant Nose.
I suggest for your stock
Senegal Bichir and Bush Fish pellets small enough for Senegal to eat preferably sinking, pieces of raw thawed fish.
Keyhole Cichlids floating or sinking Cichlid pellet, or flake food.
Bristlenose Pleco algae wafers, algae grown on the aquarium glass. Also will eat veggie such as zucchini.
I personally have experience with the Leopard Bushfish, Senegal Bichir, and Bristlenose Pleco.

Randles

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2021
UK
Just make sure you use quality foods. Northfin, NLS, Omega One, Hikari & Vitalis, as its a soft pellet and they love it. I use Omega One Veggie Rounds for my BN pleco and also give these to my Oscars and they love them. I use a combination of Northfin cichlid pellets and Hikari food sticks and pellets. I also feed frozen foods and live (crickets and earth worms/nightcrawlers). This is what I feed my BN, featherfin catfish, Oscars and GTs.

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Bloodworms aren't that nutritional but are ok for a treat or if you want to get a finicky fish to eat. There are a few species that have to eat Bloodworms for example the Elephant Nose.
I suggest for your stock
Senegal Bichir and Bush Fish pellets small enough for Senegal to eat preferably sinking, pieces of raw thawed fish.
Keyhole Cichlids floating or sinking Cichlid pellet, or flake food.
Bristlenose Pleco algae wafers, algae grown on the aquarium glass. Also will eat veggie such as zucchini.
I personally have experience with the Leopard Bushfish, Senegal Bichir, and Bristlenose Pleco.
Thank you for this info! Will take this all into account and feed accordingly!

Reactions: tlindsey

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Just make sure you use quality foods. Northfin, NLS, Omega One, Hikari & Vitalis, as its a soft pellet and they love it. I use Omega One Veggie Rounds for my BN pleco and also give these to my Oscars and they love them. I use a combination of Northfin cichlid pellets and Hikari food sticks and pellets. I also feed frozen foods and live (crickets and earth worms/nightcrawlers). This is what I feed my BN, featherfin catfish, Oscars and GTs.
Oh wow, thank you for naming the brands! I’ll see if any of my LFS carry these brands, but if not I can always order online :)

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Hello all!

Hikari would be best for Senegal bichir. Keeping 3 Senegal would be best imo, so they can form a “bichir pile”. Allows them to feel less stressed

Reactions: MetalRavioli

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Hikari would be best for Senegal bichir. Keeping 3 Senegal would be best imo, so they can form a “bichir pile”. Allows them to feel less stressed
I've seen bichir piles before, they are very cute! I'm definitely considering getting more than one bichir. Is there any specific Hikari product that would be the best for the bichir? I'm on their website and am not sure what would be the best for the little guys.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
What size is the bichir?

If you will order online, I would do Northfin or New Life Spectrum insectivore. Different Hikari sinking pellets should be readily available from your local fish/pet store.

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
What size is the bichir?

If you will order online, I would do Northfin or New Life Spectrum insectivore. Different Hikari sinking pellets should be readily available from your local fish/pet store.
He’s very little, my LFS is holding him currently, he’s the normal in the picture
7E640AAD-9A66-4493-BA7C-8B2D80FE79B6.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store