Best Fish for a 10 Gallon Saltwater Tank, and Simplest Setup for Saltwater.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hello everyone! My mom wants me to make a saltwater tank with the extra 10-gallon tank I have right now. I know the basics of saltwater tank setups, but beyond that, not much else as I do mainly freshwater. What is the simplest saltwater setup I can do? Can I have a HOB filter instead of a sump? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what fish would be appropriate? I have a few ideas but more would also be appreciated. I was thinking 1 clown fish, or a smaller damselfish or two. Also how hard is it to make a reef setup? with corals and what not?

Sorry for all the questions lol. I'm just wanting all the info I can get. Thank you!!

Reactions: Deadeye and AR1

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
1697916252228.gif

Joking aside - it’s definitely not for the faint of heart. The best advice I can give for saltwater is to take it as slow as possible. There are no corners that you can cut and not have it blow up in your face.
For stocking a 10 gallon, you’re going to be rather limited to smaller gobies and blennies OR a clown pair. My ocellaris clown female is one of the meanest fish I’ve ever kept and rivaled my piranha for kills. Most diversity would come from invertebrates.
I run my 40B reef with HOB filters, but you will need a good powerhead to provide the flow necessary for corals. Additionally, you will need a powerful light rated for growing corals.
If you are interested in corals, I’d limit yourself to the easier, nuclear bomb proof types like leathers, green star polyp, mushrooms, and zoanthids. As you gain experience and confidence you can move to harder corals.
All fish should be quarantined or bought from a seller that pre-quarantines them, disease is bad in saltwater, and you’re paying a lot for fish.
In my opinion, you’d be better off going for a smaller AIO tank like the biocubes or fluval 13.5 if you want a small beginner reef tank. The 10 is better served as a qt.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
In my opinion, you’d be better off going for a smaller AIO tank like the biocubes or fluval 13.5 if you want a small beginner reef tank. The 10 is better served as a qt.
Unfortunately, I can't get another tank. But thank you for the advice :D.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store