Best plant substrates?

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Hello MFK

Im currently redoing a 29g of mine, and am replacing the substrate in the tank with sand. However, I will be putting many pots in the tank, of which I will be putting substrate in to house plants. My question is, what substrate should I use? I assume I could use more than one to provide a variety of nutrients, does anyone have any suggestions or specific products I could use?

Also, Im looking to replace my light and use a more plant-bases one, one that would provide nutrients for lush plants. Any ideas?

Leonardo_CH

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2022
Switzerland
ADA aqua soil amazonia is great at providing nitrogen and other minerals to plants without adding much or any to the water, the main downsides are that it lowers pH slightly and is pretty expensive, but its not really a problem in your case as pots wont require much volume.
If you want to grow some heavy root feeders like amazon swords it might not be enough without a few root tabs.

Another cheaper and more long lasting option (ADA soil is nutrient rich for only ~2 years) is some dirt and a 1.5-2" sand cap (the pots must not have dreinage holes), this will 100% provide enough nutrients for any root feeder and will last almost forever.

If the pots happen to be quite deep and would require a lot of dirt to fill, without making the sand cap thicker, you can make a mixture of the two (30-50% dirt) instead of just dirt while maintaning the pure sand cap.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
By no means do I know anything about plants. I have tried them several times and this is the only time that it's worked and worked beyond all hopes I could have ever had.
I used Caribsea Planted plus substrate. Bought local to make sure that the bags were still sealed with the fluids. I used 60lbs in a 40b. I got a Finnex Planted Plus LED light CRV model and its running on the 24/7 mode at 75% intensity. I did have to get some root tabs for my Swords, in-house brand from The Wet Spot. No other ferts or CO2 used.
I started with 4 Amazon Swords, 4 Stem plants, and 5 Vals.
20220802_171558.jpg
These are all about a month apart, give or take...
20220815_120356.jpg
20220910_141555.jpg20221126_180931.jpg20230226_101849.jpg

There are approximately 60 fish in the tank. Started with a pair of HRPs, 3 Molly's, 6 Plattys
Tank gets 50% water changes every three days

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
By no means do I know anything about plants. I have tried them several times and this is the only time that it's worked and worked beyond all hopes I could have ever had.
I used Caribsea Planted plus substrate. Bought local to make sure that the bags were still sealed with the fluids. I used 60lbs in a 40b. I got a Finnex Planted Plus LED light CRV model and its running on the 24/7 mode at 75% intensity. I did have to get some root tabs for my Swords, in-house brand from The Wet Spot. No other ferts or CO2 used.
I started with 4 Amazon Swords, 4 Stem plants, and 5 Vals.
View attachment 1515495
These are all about a month apart, give or take...
View attachment 1515496
View attachment 1515497View attachment 1515498View attachment 1515499

There are approximately 60 fish in the tank. Started with a pair of HRPs, 3 Molly's, 6 Plattys
Tank gets 50% water changes every three days
Wow, really nice. I may try that as I have the same issue with plants.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello MFK

Im currently redoing a 29g of mine, and am replacing the substrate in the tank with sand. However, I will be putting many pots in the tank, of which I will be putting substrate in to house plants. My question is, what substrate should I use? I assume I could use more than one to provide a variety of nutrients, does anyone have any suggestions or specific products I could use?

Also, Im looking to replace my light and use a more plant-bases one, one that would provide nutrients for lush plants. Any ideas?
I suggest further your research on the planted tank forum.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I have used basic potting soil with a sand cap of a couple inches. Another option is oak, almond or magnolia leaves cut into small pieces and covered with sand.
I have used ADA, Seachem flourite and flourite red. I use plain sand now.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
I have used basic potting soil with a sand cap of a couple inches. Another option is oak, almond or magnolia leaves cut into small pieces and covered with sand.
I have used ADA, Seachem flourite and flourite red. I use plain sand now.
Do the leaves do much? I tried layering botanicals under sand once and the vallisneria and cordifolius sword I planted over them didn't seem to grow any faster than plants of the same species placed in sand.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
The substrate that I swear by is fluval stratum. It’s an aqua soil that’s not horribly expensive like ADA aqua soil and is pretty hassle free. No need to rinse (fluorite for example) and is a good grain size.

This is a good video that shows how well fluval stratum grows plants in a low tech setting compared to some other alternatives on the market:

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Do the leaves do much? I tried layering botanicals under sand once and the vallisneria and cordifolius sword I planted over them didn't seem to grow any faster than plants of the same species placed in sand.
They act as a natural fertilizer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store