Best puffer for 120 gal?

Pipe layer

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2013
North jersey
Have a (hopefully soon to be empty) 120 gallon and have been wanting to do some type of puffer for a while. (Did some dwarf puffers way back when but they were just too small)

Contemplated trying Congos when I only had a 55/75 but now that I have 120 (and a 180 he could possibly move to eventually), what would the best bet be?

I think I could do a GSP or Ffigure 8 in a community, could I do Monodactylus Sebae or Archers with either?

I am pretty sure I could do a Fahaka, though I have also read 180 minimum is a must.

Am I missing anything?

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Minimum for a Fahaka is said to be a 48" x 24" 120g. Most say the 180g is the best long term choice.

Pipe layer

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2013
North jersey
Thanks DMD, that is what it seems in my research. And while we do have a 180, it is currently occupied with no long term plans on unoccupancy.

Seems like they grow at a mid-rate of a couple inches a year so technically we could do a Fahaka for some time, but I am a little worried of stunting it long term.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Thats the thing that has held me back from a Fahaka, the sheer size tank these guys need to themselves. I have a 210g large cichlid community and also have no plans on changing out stock. But I can always dream... in the meantime I got myself a little mini-monster hairy puffer that I keep in a 40B. Very cool little fish.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
i would do multiple GSP myself, they are awesome... it would be like a RBP tank but more aggressive!-)

Pipe layer

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2013
North jersey
For a GSP, when converting to full marine, do you need to switch the setup to marine? i.e. prtien skimmer, reactor, stuff like that?

Also, anyone kept multiple figure 8s or fig 8s with archers?

Pipe layer

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2013
North jersey
Why not a school if south American Puffers.
I did not realize this was an option? Thought they did better as a single one of its species, possibly a few other conspecific (is that the right word)? tankmates

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Saps school together! They actually do better in groups...very rare for Puffers.
This is true. Solo specimens often sulk and don't do very well. They are very active and a lot of fun to watch in a group.
As Purplecandle mentioned earlier, they do require a 100% crunchy diet. Pond snail shells (Physa species) and prawn shells are even to thin to keep up with the growth of their teeth. The harder the shell the better.
I also like the Fahaka idea if you have the 180g available once it passes the 12-14" mark.
Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store