Best schooling fish.

jschall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2009
Chico, California
I just typed the following message about congos before reading previous replies and finding them already recommended:

How about some congo tetras? They're really nice looking, very active fish. If you were planning on 150 cardinals, maybe get 30 congos? They get reasonably large. If you have plants they might nibble them, so be careful with that. They only seemed to eat my anubias, which was weird (tough plant).

In addition to the congos, african brown knife, african butterfly fish, senegal bichirs (warning: bigger and more aggressive bichirs will successfully hunt the congos), ropefish, synodontis cats, elephantnose fish for some "cool factor." Congos to draw attention, knifefish/butterfly fish/elephantnose to keep it. (warning: jumpers and escape artists listed)

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
my flagtail grew 1" in a year and was eventually bullied to death by all the fish that outgrew it. They are an awesome fish for sure but with my experience I wouldn't bother with them again
Yea they can't defend themselves for sure, but he's talking about a peaceful tank, and a flagtail is a nice big centerpiece for a peaceful comm tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
IMO when you start mixing several types of schooling fish, it turns into one big jumble and just looks bad. If you wanted to do rainbows, you could do several diff types of them - they will all school together. You could do a large school of tiger barbs with all the diff morphs - green, albino, regular.

jschall had a good idea. An all african(non cichlid) tank. I cant remember seeing one of those before. Tons of SA or CA communities, but very few African

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I have filaments and aurilius barbs. They go great together. Rays are normally very active though. Maybe keep the rays and add the barbs.

Pshmock

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2008
new york
Do a school of 60-80 exodons. Very active and awesome swarmers.

[video=youtube;vEiXbOhKlQQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEiXbOhKlQQ[/video]

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
+1 on the rainbows,many choices.i also agree with filament barbs.i had 6 that were great-hardy,active.roseline or redline barbs? i think they are separate types.both have some red.look nice in the store displays i have seen

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store