Best single predator for a 240 (6x2.5x2)

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Good call, maybe a black throat monitor!-)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Red snakeheads will exceed 3ft so work it out yourself!-) diplogramma would be a better choice but finding them is near impossible!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
wow even in captivity? I knew they got big but I was thinking 2-2.5' lol

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Haha I like the sound of a snapper or a moniter but I would still like to keep a fish.

how about a black and gold snakehead? Not sure on the Latin name but I see a fairly big 1 in a Lfs last year

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
I am definitely thinking catfish or snakehead now, @Justarn- do you think you're Wyckii is a bit fussy because you keep it well fed to lower aggression? I would love to get another 1 if I can find 1, might even get 1 and just bin the uneaten mice lol

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Yea I was looking for a fish for my 220 nothing ever caught my eye where I'm like heck yea lol, my tank is 6'x27"x27" but I'm thinking of making it into an alligator snapper tank they are 99% aquatic so no land area and you can keep the water deep as long as they can reach the surface for air. But I know what you mean there's something about a big fish that is amazing and beautiful. What about a larger puffer I used to have a Fahaka and he was great good personality big appetite. I want to keep a Mbu puffer those are nice too

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Yea I was looking for a fish for my 220 nothing ever caught my eye where I'm like heck yea lol, my tank is 6'x27"x27" but I'm thinking of making it into an alligator snapper tank they are 99% aquatic so no land area and you can keep the water deep as long as they can reach the surface for air. But I know what you mean there's something about a big fish that is amazing and beautiful. What about a larger puffer I used to have a Fahaka and he was great good personality big appetite. I want to keep a Mbu puffer those are nice too

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
yea it would be cool but i already have a burmese python, a brreding pair of boa's and a chinese water dragaon + i think i would feel lost if i didn't have some kind of fish lol never thought of a puffer, i thought they only ate mollusks :s

Your tank is a bit small for this, but i'll paint the following picture.

A big stump of driftwood, with branches that explore the space above the water line. a sand substrate mixed with some loose natural gravel. Java fern tied to the branches under the water - perhaps some moss above. Lily pads on one end with some large fist and bolling ball sized round or oblong rocks. Some schools of shad of varying sizes. A brown catfish. LED spot lighting. Massive filtration. And the star of the show you ask, what of the star? Ah, I can only answer:

Florida strain LMB. Preferably a female.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
yeah black and golds are cool, aka golden cobra aka Channa aurantimaculata... not sure on their appetite tho, like i say diplogramma are the reds smaller better looking cousin, rare as heck though and max out about 2ft. red do get huge if kept properly, theres some vids on you tube of a member on here who had three at 32inches in a 9ft tank iirc... emperor snakeheads are cool and max out about 2ft, i love my wyckii but due to aggression its defo a love hate relationship... i had him in a 100g and apart from his digging and biting the hose he was pretty boring if im honest, they sit around alot. and no he is just picky, might be just my one but thats my experience. why not get an asian aro, they are real greddy and top out about 30inch in captivity!-) i know you said no p's but dillywoods has a real nice black piranha atm at 10inch and a gorgeous 12 inch rtgg... could do the rtgg and an already 2ft apurensis, the one i linked is sold but chris has it (from natures rare aquatics on aq classifieds) he lives in rochester and will deliver it to ya, he is asking 80 quid now tho!!! cheeky sod. many catfish keepers claim them to be the coolest catfish hands down, like a mini rtc personality wise and prehistoric looking from my research, ive been toying with the idea but scared he will eat my cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store