Best type of arowana

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
I'm having a 8x3x3 being built. I plan on getting and aro but I know Asians, blacks and silvers get different sizes. What type woukd you suggest for that size tank so hes comfortable

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I have an asian aro and a silver aro. I prefer the south american aros for looks but they do get huge and probably too big to be that comfortable forever in your tank

Asians not as big and can be very colourful the more money you spend , I got a cheaper one Banjar red x tan yong which is about 20" now and is ace but they can be a bit feisty. One I would avoid is Jardinis they are cheaper but seem to be super aggressive in most tanks I know that have had them

Great fish though, super impressove to look at, easy to feed as they eat everything and lots of it and active

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
I have an asian aro and a silver aro. I prefer the south american aros for looks but they do get huge and probably too big to be that comfortable forever in your tank

Asians not as big and can be very colourful the more money you spend , I got a cheaper one Banjar red x tan yong which is about 20" now and is ace but they can be a bit feisty. One I would avoid is Jardinis they are cheaper but seem to be super aggressive in most tanks I know that have had them

Great fish though, super impressove to look at, easy to feed as they eat everything and lots of it and active
So he will be going in my tank eventually with my 4 xingu bass and 2 rays and possible florida gar. But they are all growing out right now.. ide like to get one now and grow him out with my bass so they grow together

What would you then suggest? I love the look of jardini but if it will be a problem then no

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
So he will be going in my tank eventually with my 4 xingu bass and 2 rays and possible florida gar. But they are all growing out right now.. ide like to get one now and grow him out with my bass so they grow together

What would you then suggest? I love the look of jardini but if it will be a problem then no
Up to you of course but knowing the people who have had them and got rid and the amount of them up for rehome in the UK I wouldnt go near a Jardini personally

I love my asian, he can be a bit of a knob at times but lives well with rays , gars, peacock bass, eels etc

yellowfinfmb

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2020
id stay away from jardini you might get one that doest fight but that tank is to small to be housed with anything

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Up to you of course but knowing the people who have had them and got rid and the amount of them up for rehome in the UK I wouldnt go near a Jardini personally

I love my asian, he can be a bit of a knob at times but lives well with rays , gars, peacock bass, eels etc
I thought Asians were illegal in the US? I'm sure you can still buy them off sites, im just curious

If I grab one, I have 4 peacocks and a NTT dat growing out in a 135 they are both 3-4 inches. Should I get him and grow him out with them or just wait?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
This question is pretty subjective; it's like asking what the best flavour of ice cream is. :)

Case in point: I've kept Silver, Black and Jardini aros and my hands-down favourite was the Jardini. Raised alone from a small size, and when larger it lived well with a few other bad actors in a 360. Never caused any visible damage to tankmates, and never sustained any either. Beautiful fish.

If someone offered to give me either a Jar or an Asian...well, okay, I'd take the Asian, sell it, buy a Jar and bank the difference. :)

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
This question is pretty subjective; it's like asking what the best flavour of ice cream is. :)

Case in point: I've kept Silver, Black and Jardini aros and my hands-down favourite was the Jardini. Raised alone from a small size, and when larger it lived well with a few other bad actors in a 360. Never caused any visible damage to tankmates, and never sustained any either. Beautiful fish.

If someone offered to give me either a Jar or an Asian...well, okay, I'd take the Asian, sell it, buy a Jar and bank the difference. :)
Very well said! I'm leaning toward picking up a nice Asian but the tank. It would look great with the bass, rays and gars

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store