MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
Chino, CA

Fishnthehood

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
Chino, CA
it's been a while since that tank so I don't remember all the fish. but a group of breeding swordtails for sure., as the bettas loved to hunt fry. for that reason, I didn't use cories. betta personalities really show better with things to hunt among plants [even fake].
females are real agile, unlike lg-finned males. non-aggressive community fish work. some tetras worked fine in a school. I stuck with smaller mouthed ones to save fry harvest. ha.
My wife would properly try and put her hand in the tank and ward off any fry eating Betta. She is one of those never hurt another animal type.

Arianne02

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
At one point I had a 10 gallon beta tank----5 females and one male. Also had two cory cats on the bottom. It worked out fine, but I found with female betta--you have to add them all at once. Let them establish their pecking order----like a week or two----then add one male. The females will work as a group and keep the male in line. One of my friends use to breed them and helped me with the tank.

Right now I have a 5gallon with one male and one female, plus two cory.

Moonblade777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2013
ohio
I've seen grouped females work in densely planted tanks. by densely I mean if one of the fish didn't want to deal with the others it could find a place to hide and never be found. if I remember correctly there were like 7 females in a 50 and they never really fought that I saw there were also some shrimp in the tank don't know what kind though.....

Fishnthehood

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
Chino, CA
At one point I had a 10 gallon beta tank----5 females and one male. Also had two cory cats on the bottom. It worked out fine, but I found with female betta--you have to add them all at once. Let them establish their pecking order----like a week or two----then add one male. The females will work as a group and keep the male in line. One of my friends use to breed them and helped me with the tank.

Right now I have a 5gallon with one male and one female, plus two cory.
Much like in real life the females keep the males in line.

Fishnthehood

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
Chino, CA
I've seen grouped females work in densely planted tanks. by densely I mean if one of the fish didn't want to deal with the others it could find a place to hide and never be found. if I remember correctly there were like 7 females in a 50 and they never really fought that I saw there were also some shrimp in the tank don't know what kind though.....
I like that idea densely planted and with shrimp with maybe some cory's

Moonblade777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2013
ohio
sound great to me just get shrimp big enough. its not a good idea to keep dwarf shrimp with betas they will pick them to death as I discovered with cherry reds .:nono:

Fishnthehood

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
Chino, CA
sound great to me just get shrimp big enough. its not a good idea to keep dwarf shrimp with betas they will pick them to death as I discovered with cherry reds .:nono:
Thanks for that tip.

kissofcrimson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
www.facebook.com
Thanks ... so having a male and like 4 or 5 females is a no go.
I don't recommend it. Female Bettas are only placed with males for breeding purposes then removed otherwise he'll kill her to defend the eggs. I've seen it happen in a few Betta setups.

There's quite a few species of tetras you an house with Bettas along with fish like cories (which someone mentioned), kuhli loaches, panda garras, otto cats, livebearers, and sometimes small gourami's like dwarfs. I had a tank with powder blue and flame dwarf gourami's with Bettas with no problem but it depends on both species of fishes temperament as gourami's, even the small ones, can be aggressive.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store