Betta.macrostoma (Brunei Beauty/Peacock Mouthbrooder)

Pred-Finatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2016
Canada
Here are some old pics of my reverse trio (2 males - 1 female) of Betta.macrostoma and their setup. These guys are currently setup in my 46 gallon bowfront.

For anyone who's unfamiliar with the wild betta species, these guys are the crown jewel of all bettas. You can find some good info on the species on the International Betta Congress site. Search for Betta.macrostoma in the species list.

Would also recommend searching this species up on google images and Youtube. Pictures and videos are great, seeing them in person is a whole thing on it's own.

Bred these fish twice, but male #1 never learned how to hold for the entire duration. Apologize for the crud pics (they were quick shots with my cellphone), will work on getting some updated and better quality ones soon. Thinking about stripping the male the next time they breed, and try raising the fry out in a tumbler. These guys have very similar personalities to that of an oscar cichlid.

Would also be interested to see who else has had the pleasure of keeping these awesome little beasts :)

Mac-Setup-1.jpg

Mac-Setup-2.jpg

Mac-Setup-3.jpg

Mac-Setup-4.jpg

Mac-Setup-5.jpg

Mac-Setup-6.jpg

Mac-Setup-7.jpg

Mac-Setup-8.jpg

Mac-Setup-9.jpg

Mac-Setup-10.jpg

Mac-Setup-11.jpg

Last edited:

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I used to have 2 pairs of Betta Channoides that were breeding... unfortunately i only ever managed to grow out one of the fry, and even that ones passed away...

Cool fish for sure, and definitely something i would consider getting back into...

Pred-Finatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2016
Canada
Got some bad news guys. Came home from class today to discover my female mac laying dead on the bottom of my tank. I'm guessing my dominant male turned on her, by the damage inflected to her gills and tail. Her tail was shredded, with the rays fanned out and exposed, and her gills torn apart. Really unfortunate because they looked like they were starting to court each other again.

Planning to split the tank in half, since there's just the two males in there.

Pred-Finatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2016
Canada
Not related to my macs, but I discovered some Betta.mahachai fry in my 20 gallon.
Sold my B.mahachai pair yesterday evening and was about to drain the tank, when I spotted some fry darting around.

Came off as a surprise, since I never successfully bred the pair (or so I thought). The fry look to be a few days old, and are all free swimming. Counted at least 10 so far, not sure if there is anymore, as the parents my have eaten them. Using pool filter sand that has a salt and pepper (70/30) composition, so trying to find some on the sub is impossible (at least for now).

Will keep you guys updated if I find more, and will try and document the growth of the fry that are accounted for. Got some bbs and microworms ready to go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store