Betta with fungal infection

ticklethepeach

Feeder Fish
Dec 17, 2017
My male veiltail betta has what I'm pretty positive is a fungal infection. I'm keeping him quarantined in warm water, (80 degrees) treated with salt and melafix. I'm also feeding him a mix of blood worms, hikari brand granules, and freeze dried shrimp flakes. He isnt looking any better, and it's been several days. But he is eating, and he is moving around, just pretty slowly. What else can I do to help him heal faster??

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My male veiltail betta has what I'm pretty positive is a fungal infection. I'm keeping him quarantined in warm water, (80 degrees) treated with salt and melafix. I'm also feeding him a mix of blood worms, hikari brand granules, and freeze dried shrimp flakes. He isnt looking any better, and it's been several days. But he is eating, and he is moving around, just pretty slowly. What else can I do to help him heal faster??

Keep the water parameters stable and the water clean .

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Please be careful using melafix and pimafix with your betta, it irritates their labyrinth and can cause them problems. Because of this API make a weaker version called "bettafix" for use on bettas, but I'm pretty sure even that has been known to cause irritation in some cases.

I agree with tlindsey tlindsey about salt and clean water. Ditch the melafix and just do 40% water changes every day and add some salt. If you must use some kind if "fix" get some bettafix, its less likely to harm your betta. :)

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store