BGK Compatibility

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I purchased an elephant nose from my lfs yesterday, the only problem I have with him is the fact that it won't eat its blood worms, but that is beyond the point (though I would be open to suggestions). I plan on purchasing a BGK later this year. I have a 8' x 2' x 2' 200 gallon aquarium.

mattmez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2014
Coal City IL
I would try black worms or even very small earthworms with the elephant nose. But if what you are asking us if you could house the BGK and nose together... I would have to say it would work but the two fish would constantly annoy each other due to their electric scenes. They won't quarrell but they may be uncomfortable.

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
Actually, a BGK's electric field only extends about one body length in all directions around it and I believe it's a bit less in mormyrids like the elephant nose...

mattmez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2014
Coal City IL
ACTUALLY.... I did a study where any gymnotiforms electro field covers 5x of length in body length in both directions. Proven true because we house a gymnotus anguillaris as well as a apteronotus albifrons in 2 separate 96" aquaroums and the field was detected on each end on the tank. 16" in specimen in the middle of the tank. I have no clue about mormyrids

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
Well, that depends...How did you detect the electric discharge?
Also, jealous of the G. anguillaris....

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
I actually don't see it being a problem at all for the reason I mentioned above...But that being said I've never tried it. Also, all South American knifefish are electric, so if you were going to try it, the species shouldn't make much difference.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store