Bichir Addiction

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
you can find 2 retros in Iceland and I can only find 1 in 3 years. I never would've thought haha. How have you been able to hold off not getting any more for this long? I can usually only last a couple months.
Well I have come close a couple times, almost bought a 10" ornate and an 8" Delhezi a couple months ago. The reason I haven't added any more is that the tank they are in is currently housing 2x rays that I'm growing out. I don't feel like there's much room for more fish until I move the rays to a bigger tank (which will happen in a few months).

Well the local fish stores import from european companies that had them available. When the rays move, I will get more upper jaws, without a doubt.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Couple pics of the female retro, sorry for bad quality pics.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Time for an update.
No bichirs have been added, sadly, doubt there will be more anytime soon, maybe around christmas.
The retros have grown a bit, the larger one (female) is currently 8", and the smaller one (male) around 6"... These guys sure are slow growers, doesn't bother me though actually, they have become much more active after I added some gravel, the female is almost as active as my senegals, male is a little shyer, but far more outgoing than most laid back bichirs, for example a palmas palmas I once had. His appetite isn't great though, but male polys do grow slower and have less appetite than the females overall.
Here's a couple of shots taken tonight, sorry about the crappy phone pics though, gonna get my DSLR up again soon.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Good looking retros. Any plans on breeding?
As we both know breeding bichirs is a long shot, but possibly if I see them courting I'll set up a tank for them.
Male flexes anal fin from time to time, but isn't chasing her or anything like that. They don't really have any more interest in each other than other fish in the tank, so far.

But like I said, if I see some love in the air I might separate them.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I think i can understand how this could be a problem.... myson loves fish 5yrsold and he can tell the kids that work at a petland near us what fish are compatible with each other any way we mostly keep CA cichlids. Ine day my wife saw a dehelzi and asked me to pick it up for her....that fish has become one of our favirote fish...hes almost goofy doesnt bother any of his tankmates.

Tonight we just picked up an ornate......

Im on google looking at pics of endlis
This cant be good

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store