Bichir ID?

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hi All,

One of the local fish stores near me listed this as a PBB bichir. Can someone verify this? Looks like a normal lapradei to me butany insight is appreciated!

Cheers,
Ray

9B63A0FF-13E9-4591-BC73-2C1A5F11BC88.jpeg

F2B0EB44-793B-4127-9C70-AD2569460DE2.jpeg

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hao Hao kno4te kno4te any help would be appreciated :)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
See what hao thinks but I’m only counting 14 finlets so I think they are laps.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
See what hao thinks but I’m only counting 14 finlets so I think they are laps.
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing. Plus the head shape and colors scream lap to me, but I kinda hope I’m wrong since would love a true PBB in my collection.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Any pics what they will look like as adults? Also how can you tell?
In my opinion, most of them do not look very nice when bigger. Especially these ones since they are Indonesian bred. Looks very different from their wild counterpart (thus price difference). Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures. I rarely see them grown big too. I've never been great at explaining the fine details when it comes to IDing bichirs. But I looked at their headshape and pattern (some of them in the video that Monster Aquarium posted showed clear pattern similar to their wild counterpart.) I didn't need to count finlet but there should be about 16 finlets on them (not the most reliable method but it can be helpful).

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
In my opinion, most of them do not look very nice when bigger. Especially these ones since they are Indonesian bred. Looks very different from their wild counterpart (thus price difference). Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures. I rarely see them grown big too. I've never been great at explaining the fine details when it comes to IDing bichirs. But I looked at their headshape and pattern (some of them in the video that Monster Aquarium posted showed clear pattern similar to their wild counterpart.) I didn't need to count finlet but there should be about 16 finlets on them (not the most reliable method but it can be helpful).
Gotcha. Thank you for the reply. Makes sense. For that price as well I agree they are prob not the best quality given what I’ve seen PBBs going for. Ended up getting another lap which I’m assuming is a nigerian wild caught lap :)

Reactions: clm08k and Hao

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Hao is a legend. What characteristics allowed you to deduce they were bred in Indonesia?

Reactions: Rayfishowner
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store