Bichir setup questions

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
Hi I am looking into the fish hobby after my turtle died and I have a few questions about setting up a bichir tank. I have a 75 gallon tank and am looking into getting a 270 gallon indoor pond. I was wondering if I should be able to house 2 Senegal bichirs and 1 delhezi bichir in a 75 gallon tank for a year and a half? that is how long it will take me to build the pond. I intend to also add a small school of feeder fish to the tank. Would this work? Any recommendations?

dnz03dw

Aimara
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
Hi I am looking into the fish hobby after my turtle died and I have a few questions about setting up a bichir tank. I have a 75 gallon tank and am looking into getting a 270 gallon indoor pond. I was wondering if I should be able to house 2 Senegal bichirs and 1 delhezi bichir in a 75 gallon tank for a year and a half? that is how long it will take me to build the pond. I intend to also add a small school of feeder fish to the tank. Would this work? Any recommendations?
can live in that size tank forever really, more the enough room just for 3 bichirs.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Do you have any other suggestions for me or things that you used in your aquarium?
Make sure not to fill aquarium to the rim. Polypterus need to come up for oxygen so leave a 1-2 inch gap.
Also make sure there are no gaps left open for the bichir to get thru.

Reactions: graylizard

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Bichirs are super hardy. As for substrate, just don’t use pea pebbles. Probably most common bichir substrate is red garnet sand, 36 grit I believe, tho any sand works. 75g with 2 sens and a del is good, but you could also look for a different species which I personally love for their color - mokelembembe. Bichirs also jump sometimes - I’ve had one get out that way, found him in morning and he was fine, so make sure to have a lid. I’ve linked a good articles on mfk about bichir care.

IMG_0490.jpeg

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
You said that your bichir got out of his tank? I knew that they jumped but that is very interesting. I’m usually at school from 5 am to 4 pm my biggest concern is that it will jump out while I’m at school.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store