Bichir tail. Stress? Aggression? Fin rot?

OakBichir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2022
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
40+
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
As you can see in the photo I had him in a tank a year ago and moved him into a different one. I noticed the end of his tail is whiter and shorter. I found an old photo from a year ago and its quite a bit different.

PXL_20220702_014230115.jpg

PXL_20230920_013225367.MP.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
As you can see in the photo I had him in a tank a year ago and moved him into a different one. I noticed the end of his tail is whiter and shorter. I found an old photo from a year ago and its quite a bit different.

View attachment 1526526

View attachment 1526525
Was the bichir the only fish in the aquarium a year ago?
It's possible that the bichir is being nipped by fish in 2nd pic.

OakBichir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2022
The first tank he was eating all the fish. He was with another bichir, South American cichlid, Bristol nose, and he was eating all the schooling danios. He is now with a texas cichlid, bristlenose, bichir, and synodontis catfish.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The first tank he was eating all the fish. He was with another bichir, South American cichlid, Bristol nose, and he was eating all the schooling danios. He is now with a texas cichlid, bristlenose, bichir, and synodontis catfish.
It may possibly be one of the cichlids nipping it's fin when the bichir gets in their territory.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store