Bichir tank setup.

DJ-EGGNOGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2018
Hello all!
I'm new here and while having owned aquariums for many years, I am new to Bichir. I have a 150 gallon tank and am trying to figure out what to stock it with. I have 4 angelfish and most likely will add one or two more. I would like to get 3-5 clown loaches, and 2-3 Bichir, a BGK, and 2-3 ropefish. I am thinking a Senegal, Delhezi, and Teugelsi. Also I am curious, would Moonlight Gourami, Pearl Gourami, or German Blue Rams be able to live with the Bichir? I plan on getting the Bichir young and so they grow up used to their tank mates.
Thanks in advance!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Teugelsi will get bigger and may nip at ur fish or the gourami and blue rams. Would suggest the smaller upper jaws even though a blue ram could be a snack for them as well.

Had upper jaws with gouramis and it was fine. Should be fine with yours as well.

Retropinnis, palmas polli, palmas palmas and good dust are other good options.

Welcome to the forum.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
you will find this forum is very quick to respond and is full of very knowledgeable people. Personally I would skip the teugelsi for size as mentioned. Sengalus and Delhezi are great starter bichirs for the 3rd I'd do polli they look good and are active. Once you are addicted to them, and you will be, then get the bigger ones and the hiders. On the loaches make sure they are to big to fit in the bichirs mouth when the bichirs are full grown, specifically the delhezi because it will be biggest. I bring the loaches up because of their spines. On the ropes do 3 or more they are very social

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Didn’t see the mention of clown loaches till now. Like T thefredpit mentioned make sure they are twice the width of the polys mouth.

Once they bite on they won’t be able to get out and both end up dying.

DJ-EGGNOGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2018
you will find this forum is very quick to respond and is full of very knowledgeable people. Personally I would skip the teugelsi for size as mentioned. Sengalus and Delhezi are great starter bichirs for the 3rd I'd do polli they look good and are active. Once you are addicted to them, and you will be, then get the bigger ones and the hiders. On the loaches make sure they are to big to fit in the bichirs mouth when the bichirs are full grown, specifically the delhezi because it will be biggest. I bring the loaches up because of their spines. On the ropes do 3 or more they are very social
Yea, this site seems like an awesome resource! I will look into the polli for my third. I will wait to get any until my loaches get a decent bit bigger. And I didn't realize the ropes were so social thats really cool! I will be sure to get 3+. And I am very sure I will get addicted! Thank you so much!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store