Bichir tankmate ideas.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Hey guys, I'm trying to help my brother come up with ideas for tankmates for his Dinosaur bichir. He's setting up a 90-gallon fish tank and has a 3" juvenile dinosaur bichir. i was thinking of maybe one Vieja synspila, but he doesn't like how they look. Does anybody have any ideas on who we can keep with him?

Also, does anybody have any credible knowledge of the max size of a dino bichir? we've heard anywhere from 8" to 18". So can anyone tell me for sure what their size is?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I assume a senegalus. If so can reach 10-14in in length.

Can keep Vieja with a Senegalus. Make sure isn’t too small.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
If its a captive bred Senegal then youd be lucky to see 10". Pretty much anything that the sen cant swallow will be fine, just watch for aggression from the chosen tankmates toward the poly. Leaves you with all kinds of options besides "nano" fish. You could keep it african and do some Congo tetras, ctenopoma, other polys, kribensis, butterfly fish. Or mix it up with South american fish. Rainbows.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Just keep in mind some Cichlids temperament will change as they mature. So if Cichlid becomes pushy or any signs of aggression remove the Cichlid or the Polypterus.
+1

90 may be on the small side for a syn

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
If its a captive bred Senegal then youd be lucky to see 10". Pretty much anything that the sen cant swallow will be fine, just watch for aggression from the chosen tankmates toward the poly. Leaves you with all kinds of options besides "nano" fish. You could keep it african and do some Congo tetras, ctenopoma, other polys, kribensis, butterfly fish. Or mix it up with South american fish. Rainbows.
hm, I didn't think that being captive bred (i assume it was because my brother got it from Petsmart) would have that much effect on its size. But if it gets to 10", that would be nice.

I mentioned African (and South American, but a lot of the South Americans grow to bigger sizes) cichlids to my brother, but he would like to see if there are other options. hasn't quite warmed up to cichlids.
90 may be on the small side for a syn
that was my worry. it's only a 90 gallon, so I don't think I have a lot of options

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
hm, I didn't think that being captive bred (i assume it was because my brother got it from Petsmart) would have that much effect on its size. But if it gets to 10", that would be nice.

I mentioned African (and South American, but a lot of the South Americans grow to bigger sizes) cichlids to my brother, but he would like to see if there are other options. hasn't quite warmed up to cichlids.

that was my worry. it's only a 90 gallon, so I don't think I have a lot of options
Bad genes in the captive bred absolutely effects growth and overall size. And yes petsmart will be CB.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

The 90 is fine for the Senegal Bichir aka Dinosaur Bichir. Petsmart Senegal Polys are captive bred they average the 10 inch mark when mature. Besides Cichlids there are other species that are compatible and could live in the 90 gallon for life.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
+1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store