Bichir with Arowana, common pleco, and Bala Sharks?

Masa_Rov

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
Hi, folks.

I saw some young albino bichirs (polypterus palmas, I believe, but I will have to ask the owner of the LFS).

I was thinking of adding one to the tank where I have a silver arowana, a common pleco and bala sharks.

I read here that it should be fine with the aro (which right now is about 6"--perhaps a tad shorter). But will the balas or the pleco get pestered by the bichir?

The largest bala is 4"; the smallest, 3''. The pleco is either 7 or 8''.

The bichirs I was looking at were about 3 inches.

Is that too small for the aro?

Should I wait until the balas are larger

Thank you for any help you can give me with this.

Masa_Rov

Koji

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
Actually you shouldn't base on what's their size now to decide if they'll be good mates in there but go into their growth rate. Some fishes grows faster than others and thus you must know which will pose a threat to which fish in another months time or so.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
I'd let the bichirs growout some they could look tasty to the arrowanna.The real concern is the pleco bothering the bichir.Some common plecos are notorious for eating slimecoat off bichirs the removal of slimecoat is bad but worse is the damage to the bichirs scales a plecos rasping teeth can bring-Anne

Masa_Rov

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
Thank you, I should keep in mind especially with the arowana's fast rate of growth.

Masa_Rov

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
beblondie said:
I'd let the bichirs growout some they could look tasty to the arrowanna.The real concern is the pleco bothering the bichir.Some common plecos are notorious for eating slimecoat off bichirs the removal of slimecoat is bad but worse is the damage to the bichirs scales a plecos rasping teeth can bring-Anne
Thank you for the advice. Should I then get a bichir that is, say, 6 or 7" (about the arowana's length and an inch or so shorter than the pleco)? Perhaps I should add that I had this particular pleco with several discus for about a year and it never bothered them.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
i would get 8 - 10 inch
just to be sure.
ime all arowanas grow fish

Masa_Rov

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
I found today a nice 4 1/2" bichir (polypterus palmas). It had been at this shop for about 3 weeks, and it eats readily frozen and freeze-dried bloodworm and shrimp. Tankmates are silver arowana, pleco, and balas. A biotope it is not!

CDM

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2005
Totally aggree with what Anne stated. So, it's already in your tank now? Just keep monitoring the pleco. It starts when sometimes other tankmates bite at the bichir, and leave wounds with internal fluids leaking out. The fluids would stimulate the appetite of the pleco, and attract pleco to suck the bichir. Once it taste the easy and nice food, it learns and won't stop after then. Btw, the albino bichirs are most probably albino senegals.

Masa_Rov

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
CDM said:
Totally aggree with what Anne stated. So, it's already in your tank now? Just keep monitoring the pleco. It starts when sometimes other tankmates bite at the bichir, and leave wounds with internal fluids leaking out. The fluids would stimulate the appetite of the pleco, and attract pleco to suck the bichir. Once it taste the easy and nice food, it learns and won't stop after then. Btw, the albino bichirs are most probably albino senegals.
Yes, it's been in the tank since yesterday afternoon. So far, it has been very active and it has been eating very well.

This particular pleco has been particularly good with other fish such as discus. I hope I am right when I think that it will not bother the bichir. But I will keep an eye on anything of the sort you mention. Thanks.

Masa

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store