Bichirs with wolf fish?

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
I don't think that would work. All his large poly's are LJ species and that congicus and faranah lap will easily look at the wolf as food if its only 5"

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks for your response :) are LJ bichir species more aggressive? I used to keep a 4" botia loach and he was never bothered. The loach would always lay next to the big bichirs right in front of their faces and the bichirs left him alone. Never had any problems with aggression

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Thanks for your response :) are LJ bichir species more aggressive? I used to keep a 4" botia loach and he was never bothered. The loach would always lay next to the big bichirs right in front of their faces and the bichirs left him alone. Never had any problems with aggression

You must've kept them pretty well fed. The day I added my 2 armatus in with my polys, they were about 8" and all the polys ranged b/w 12-16" and within minutes, they attempted to eat the armatus. Now they're fine but to answer your question, yes. Lower jaw species are much more aggressive than upper jaw except for ornates. They're aggressiveness is right up there with the LJ's.

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
You must've kept them pretty well fed. The day I added my 2 armatus in with my polys, they were about 8" and all the polys ranged b/w 12-16" and within minutes, they attempted to eat the armatus. Now they're fine but to answer your question, yes. Lower jaw species are much more aggressive than upper jaw except for ornates. They're aggressiveness is right up there with the LJ's.

Oh dang, what kind of bichirs were yours that tried eating your armatus? Mine are pretty well fed haha, I feed everyday and make sure every single bichir gets their fill on food :)

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Oh dang, what kind of bichirs were yours that tried eating your armatus? Mine are pretty well fed haha, I feed everyday and make sure every single bichir gets their fill on food :)

At the time, it was my cb endli and congicus that actually snapped at them. My lap smelt them and came to investigate but it was too small so I guess it was smart enough to not even bother.

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
Just came home from a weekend at my cousin's house and found my endli on the floor😓 thank god it was still alive! His body was still slimy and I quickly put him back in the tank, sitting on the bottom but doing fine now

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
Ive kept bichirs with wolves. I wouldnt do the red wolf. If you have upper jaws. Purple wolf, Sp. tuahuayo, are good. Lower jaws, Just look into hoplias :D

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
My red wolf has done great with bichirs. Some light nipping when he was young but never really did anything but cosmetic damage. Now he's more interested in my geos and pbass which are fast enough to evade his fat arse. He will get one once in a while and leave nothing but a head but that's it lol only has happened to a threadfin arcara and an unlucky needlefish who decided going to the big boy side of the tank was a good idea.

For sure good to use target fish when younger, now he's about 8-9 inch and thick as my wrist but has gotten lazy. O was told it's a common thing that an older one somewhat loses its more explosive behavior. Mine never jumps now surprisingly, at one point about 4 incj he'd jump to grab worms and grabbed my pinky. Still got a faint scar from that a year ago. I'm sure how comfortable the wolf is effects this. My tank has no lights and a flat soft plastic lid with holes cut into it with some fabric canvas covering the windows. Makes a neat shimmering look if a light is over it. Also the only other bottom dwellers are bichirs which he was raised with and now only fights over food once in a while. He's become quite chill and with his fat old pellet eating self.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I don't think that would work. All his large poly's are LJ species and that congicus and faranah lap will easily look at the wolf as food if its only 5"

I said if he absolutely had to though then to do that even though there's still no guarantee it would work it improves his chances to survive in there

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas

not exactly aggressive but more opportunistic IME. They really aren't aggressive but they are usually the polys that live by the if it fits in their mouth it's food rule. There are ways to escape that urge though and it's to keep them well fed. Right now I have some 5-6" senegalus in with my big Koliba, Koloton, and faranah endli and they have been fine as long as the big guys have a full belly.

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
not exactly aggressive but more opportunistic IME. They really aren't aggressive but they are usually the polys that live by the if it fits in their mouth it's food rule. There are ways to escape that urge though and it's to keep them well fed. Right now I have some 5-6" senegalus in with my big Koliba, Koloton, and faranah endli and they have been fine as long as the big guys have a full belly.
My bichirs are all well fed :) so in your opinion, is it a good idea to put the wolf fish in if I really needed to? They all eat the same food and wolf fish has been with bichirs in the past. I bought from Hao and he kept them with bichirs so he's used to bichirs as tank mates :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store