Biggest Cat

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Or is Cephalosilurus fowleri easier to come by? They seem to be about the same but bigger?
Fowleri max around 20" I believe but are very rare, no ones seen one sold in years AFAIK, apurensis can grow up to 30" and is a hefty cat, I wouldn't recommend it, if you can locate a fowleri it'd be a good match since they're not to active as they sit and wait to ambush prey, could have like one large centerpiece of dw for it to hide under and the rest of the tank be bare. I believe his name is yellow cat, he's the go to guy for info on these as he's kept both to large sizes I think he said his fowleri didn't grow past 17" and his apurensis he sold at 20", don't quote me on that though.

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
moe214 moe214 Are you sure you're thinking of apurensis with the 30"? I just confirmed with several sites and all say about 12", including fishbase and planet catfish, pretty reliable sites

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'm liking the Cephalosilurus apurensis. Is there a place I could buy one form that anyone knows of?
Just saw that they have the Cephalosilurus Apurensis in stock on http://www.freshwatertropicalfishonline.com/index.php
Yes. Snookn21 has them.

Cephalosilurus genus needs much work AFAIU. Yes, Yellowcat Yellowcat 's apu is currently over 2', perhaps 26"-28". My biggest apu is definitely over 12", probaby 14"-16" but one must pay attention to TL total length versus SL standard length (without the tail) as used on Planet Catfish.

Fowleri you will never find.

Apurensis would be ok in a 4'x2' for a few years only because it is ~ as sedentary as fish come. But after it starts reaching 2', it will need an upgrade. Could be 2 years or 5 years. YMMV.

You can filter PCF Cat-eLog by size and see what you like and can find and afford. I'd focus on catfish not exceeding ~1' TL.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Cephalosililurus fowleri grow a lot bigger then apurensis, I've heard of them growing upwards of 60-70cm
That's backwards as TBTB stated.

moe214 moe214 Are you sure you're thinking of apurensis with the 30"? I just confirmed with several sites and all say about 12", including fishbase and planet catfish, pretty reliable sites
those sites have been wrong for years, many people have checked there, there's threads of people buying an apure cat already bigger than the listed max size and being confused on what they have lol, there was a thread on pcf where they were saying since they have no pictures of a proven apurensis next to a measurement tape out of water above said Max size they won't change it

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
those sites have been wrong for years, many people have checked there, there's threads of people buying an apure cat already bigger than the listed max size and being confused on what they have lol, there was a thread on pcf where they were saying since they have no pictures of a proven apurensis next to a measurement tape out of water above said Max size they won't change it
damn, did not know that. Seem like a pretty bad policy for pcf... Thanks for clearing that up

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
damn, did not know that. Seem like a pretty bad policy for pcf... Thanks for clearing that up
I would say it's bad when there are plenty pics of ones obviously over 12" that have a much more mature body shape, but it's fair because they don't want to put faulty info just cause someone claims it, then again being so stubborn is making them have faulty info and have people buying them thinking hey can keep them in their 75 when they can't. (I don't know of any cases just saying it's probably happened, I know for sure someone has bought it and it was in a tank it'd out grow)

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
I would say it's bad when there are plenty pics of ones obviously over 12" that have a much more mature body shape, but it's fair because they don't want to put faulty info just cause someone claims it, then again being so stubborn is making them have faulty info and have people buying them thinking hey can keep them in their 75 when they can't. (I don't know of any cases just saying it's probably happened, I know for sure someone has bought it and it was in a tank it'd out grow)
exactly. I understand their motive - accurate information. And that's always a great thing, but in this case their strict adherence to the rule is having the opposite effect. I'm sure there are plenty of those cases, which is a shame; there are already too many big cats crammed into too small a tank due to bad information

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store