biggest koi

KILLERKOI

Feeder Fish
Jan 6, 2006
DIRTY JERSEY
www.recdir.com
there is no control on how much they eat ,think of koi like cows they eat,eat,and eat all day and all night if they could they would eat till they burst and then eat their guts::barf: :barf::ROFL: : but they pass out before that point come its like a natural safty precaution :screwy:

Don4921

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Tampa
KILLERKOI said:
there is no control on how much they eat ,think of koi like cows they eat,eat,and eat all day and all night if they could they would eat till they burst and then eat their guts::barf: :barf::ROFL: : but they pass out before that point come its like a natural safty precaution :screwy:
i like the smilies:drool: so will my koi get bigger if they have a constant food supply or will that cost me alot of mula:nono: cant do that:ROFL:

KILLERKOI

Feeder Fish
Jan 6, 2006
DIRTY JERSEY
www.recdir.com
i wouldnt do it., main reason being health, its not good for them. their not growing they are just getting fatter. u will also run them the risk of higher chance of olcers, heart failure and diseses i mean its like a slow death like in that movie SEVEN with brad pitt u will keep feeding him and feeding him and feeding him until POP!!!!:barf: :barf: :barf: :lol3: :ROFL:

Don4921

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Tampa
KILLERKOI said:
i wouldnt do it., main reason being health, its not good for them. their not growing they are just getting fatter. u will also run them the risk of higher chance of olcers, heart failure and diseses i mean its like a slow death like in that movie SEVEN with brad pitt u will keep feeding him and feeding him and feeding him until POP!!!!:barf: :barf: :barf: :lol3: :ROFL:
i know i was just kidding:ROFL: that would be kool to see the fattest koi!:ROFL:

NuttyFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Where
KILLERKOI said:
hows it goin nuttyfish for ur question about inbreads that really dosnt happen as much as u think the japanease are extreme perfectionists when it comes to breeding that is a thing that they thrive to prevent they consider it a dishoner and mostly breed with different farms by way of trade now dose it happen though yes but not witht he top end breeders and farmers and as for the carp koi now aday can get as big if released in the wild but they lose all of their color and look just like carp from lack of a good diet they biggest koi dosent always mean the nicest in compatitions:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Hi KILLERKOI, how are you doing? I think you misunderstood my question, I was not talking about now but way way back at the early stage of the pet koi breeding. My koi knowledge is below average but here's my rookie theory.

If I remember correctly from an online article that I've read koi were initially used for food and they were grey/black color originally. Then about 200 years ago some farmers noticed bright color koi and they started keeping them instead of eating them:grinyes: . Since those color koi are mutation they must have been very rare initially. It's logical to think that they must have kept the rare color koi together to get more color koi (inbreeding). Since they were farmers and didn't know about the inbreeding at that time, it is highly possible that the breeder koi were also inbreed. I mean why would they go get a wild koi for breeding when they already had tons of koi in their pond to conveniently choose from.

Basically, the parents of the color koi were already inbreed. And they further inbreed the color koi to get more color koi. I think it's very likely that all the modern koi are originated from dare I say less than 500 or even 100 genetically unique koi. On top of that the color koi with similar traits are further selectively inbreed to get the variety that we have today like asagi and kohaku. All I am saying you need some seriously inbreeding to obtain or to get rid of certain traits that are not natural. No matter how much they try to avoid the inbreeding it doesn't matter much because they all originated from a handful of koi to begin with anyway.

KILLERKOI said:
if released in the wild but they lose all of their color and look just like carp from lack of a good diet they biggest koi dosent always mean the nicest in compatitions:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I am not sure where you got the idea of "color koi loose all their color and look just like carp from a lack of good diet". Color in koi are genetic and I don't think food can get rid of it.

KILLERKOI

Feeder Fish
Jan 6, 2006
DIRTY JERSEY
www.recdir.com
sorry i ve only got back to this so long ago now as for ur ansawer yes your right but we arent talkin 200yrs ago if ur talking about farming for food thats more like 2,500yrs around (551-479 BC) and it was done not in japan it was in china they were called (magoi) and mainly were black, grey or red but there were no ornamental value to them yet it was just food:grinyes:they were introduced in japan by at that time an invading china in (200AD)and it was kept by a japanese emperor and.but that was it till about the 1700s when the carp were given to ricer farmers in a village named Yamakoshigo,*****ta, Japan were they introduced them to there iragations to supplement their diets of rice do to the fact that *****ta Jpn. is high in the mountains witch made it almost im possible to farm in the winter so that ment no rice , but lot of hatf frozen BUT! alive carp(yum yum yummy :woot: ),but the Color mutations didnt acurre till 1804-1830 and were red,yellow and white colored carp:screwy: witch later was coltavated to form what we call today as (KAWARIMONO) witich are the solid color KOI.and from there started all the breeding and inbreeding to. with (MAGOI CARP) to make all the different breeds to day but Japan is big so alot of the follwing spreaded out to all over japan so you are not wrong about the in breeding but as soon as the mutations were started to be noted and the word got out about these colored and beutiful fish., it began:mwave:. :y220d: woof i wonder if that could fit ont a Snapple cap:ROFL: :ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store