Biggest mistakes you have made in aquarium keeping?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Where to begin…
It wasn’t until I joined this site that I learned to be a good fish keeper, so let’s just say I’ve made a lot of mistakes.
One of them was goldfish and aggressive tropical fish in a tank together (I will add that that led to where I am today).
My worst was my home-bred oranda-shubunkin goldfish, a claw frog, clown pleco, and 2 cories in a 10 gallon tank being fed only brine shrimp and not cleaning the tank for 6 months. No survivors by then.
This did in part lead to my piranha and leporinus tank. Which led to my cichlids. So some good came from my mistakes.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
  • Haha
Reactions: Matteus and Rtc/tsn

kingthedog

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2019
Putting about 20 small convicts in an uncycled 10 gallon. I thought it was going to be fine because it was temporary but the ammonia spike to 10 ppm fast. Miraculously they all survived.

Reactions: Deadeye

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
i also made the mistake of buying a 55 gallon with very little experience keeping smaller tanks
to be honest i probably should have started with a 10 gallon

Reactions: Deadeye

Neervana

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2008
UK
The biggest mistake I’ve ever made was to probably take a break in fishkeeping. And where I live has powercuts now & then. Not often. But can be decimating to a tank, I’d like to have a backup generator in the near future. But getting back into it is so exciting, got to admit. You can see past mistakes and not to repeat them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store