Bio balls, 24-hour water & 1 month prior fish conditioning

Susan Shafer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2017
Twenty years ago when I wanted to set up an aquarium the methods used then are outdated probably. Back then after the tank is filled the water it's left to sit for 24 hours so the __________ would evaporate. I don't remember what was supposed to evaporate. After the rocks are added you get a "bio bag" from the fish store. The bio bag is a cotton filled small netted bag. This bag has been sitting in an active aquarium for a month and been growing helpful bacteria to start your own aquarium. And we would put a few fish in it that we weren't planning on keeping in the tak and keep them there for one month to condition the water.
So what do we do now? I've seen some water conditioners that say that you can use them and put fish in the water right away. Is there a product needed to remove flouride and other chemicals?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The chlorine gasses off out of the water. There are conditioners that remove any harmful chemicals in the water.

There is no way to instantly cycle the tank, but there are products that allow you to do it in a matter of days :)

Welcome to MFK

Reactions: Susan Shafer

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Welcome.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/cycling-and-you.224559/

This link will explain some tried and true methods for cycling a tank. There are other methods that do work, some are much faster, so I consider this simply an optional set of methods. I like the old methods, but that's just me.

In almost all cases, you are concerned with removing chlorine and chloramine (not fluoride or almost anything else.) Chloramine isn't in every water supply system, but it's in enough to be a concern, and even if it's not in your system today, it could be there any day without warning. Treating for both is cheap, (not treating is a serious risk), and setting water out will not eliminate chloramine even if chlorine will gas off.

Some people have problems with some chemicals or metals, but those you will be aware of if you ask your local water supplier. If you have water supplied (processed) water, you are less likely to have the issue of other chemicals than someone using well water, pond water, etc.

Just a comment. Water isn't "conditioned" even though that's exactly how we all used to say it 40 years ago. Actually, the tank needs to develop the appropriate bacteria (we call beneficial bacteria, or BB) and that is what we were (and are) really doing although a lot of us didn't know it. The BB is as important to your tank as anything you have and their presence (or lack thereof) can be critical to success.

BB can be directly added (from a mature filter media or a bottle) or grown over time ("conditioning" the water.) BB can be lost from chlorine, so it's important to treat water whenever adding processed water to the tank.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Welcome Susan!

Sounds like you had some pretty decent fish stores back in those days. I know when I first got into the hobby (late 1970s), store owners would recommend dechlorinating, letting the tank run a few days, then add your fish. Knew absolutely nothing about establishing and maintaining a proper nitrogen cycle or water changes back in those days. Stores were everywhere though!

Reactions: Susan Shafer

Susan Shafer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2017
Thank you for your long and thorough answer. I know it takes a long time to just type it in so thank you.

Welcome.

This link will explain some tried and true methods for cycling a tank. There are other methods that do work, some are much faster, so I consider this simply an optional set of methods. I like the old methods, but that's just me.

In almost all cases, you are concerned with removing chlorine and chloramine (not fluoride or almost anything else.) Chloramine isn't in every water supply system, but it's in enough to be a concern, and even if it's not in your system today, it could be there any day without warning. Treating for both is cheap, (not treating is a serious risk), and setting water out will not eliminate chloramine even if chlorine will gas off.

Some people have problems with some chemicals or metals, but those you will be aware of if you ask your local water supplier. If you have water supplied (processed) water, you are less likely to have the issue of other chemicals than someone using well water, pond water, etc.

Just a comment. Water isn't "conditioned" even though that's exactly how we all used to say it 40 years ago. Actually, the tank needs to develop the appropriate bacteria (we call beneficial bacteria, or BB) and that is what we were (and are) really doing although a lot of us didn't know it. The BB is as important to your tank as anything you have and their presence (or lack thereof) can be critical to success.

BB can be directly added (from a mature filter media or a bottle) or grown over time ("conditioning" the water.) BB can be lost from chlorine, so it's important to treat water whenever adding processed water to the tank.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You can call your water supplier to find out if you have chloramine or chlorine, in my area it was the "water quality division". When I worked at a water plant, I was the guy they forwarded aquarium related calls to. Or go to your cities water quality report.
Chlorine will evaporate fairly quickly, chloramine does not (even after weeks)
The water company can also tell you about pH and hardness which might help you determine what fish are best for your tap water conditions.

Susan Shafer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2017
Welcome.

I remember setting water out for 24 hours before using it to change water. Is that because most water has chlorine in it? And it needs to "gas off"? If I put water I want to use to make the next water change into old milk jugs for 24 hours, will there be sufficient surface amount to let it gas off or should I keepp the level lowel in the jug? Has anyone ever used a plastic garbage barrel to hold a ton of water in for a changing? Is there a problem with the plastic?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I remember setting water out for 24 hours before using it to change water. Is that because most water has chlorine in it? And it needs to "gas off"? If I put water I want to use to make the next water change into old milk jugs for 24 hours, will there be sufficient surface amount to let it gas off or should I keepp the level lowel in the jug? Has anyone ever used a plastic garbage barrel to hold a ton of water in for a changing? Is there a problem with the plastic?
A big barrel with a pump will gas off any chlorine within a day or 2. If you have chloramine however it won't gas off, and conditioner has to be used

Susan Shafer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2017
A big barrel with a pump will gas off any chlorine within a day or 2. If you have chloramine however it won't gas off, and conditioner has to be used
Is it safe to treat the water against chloramine even if it's not present and just do it as a matter of precaution? I am planning on getting some fancy guppies. What is the best plant for them to hide in? You have been so very helpful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store