Black Algae

cichlid.aus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2015
Hey guys, I recently purchased another tank from the local classifeds and it came with a plant attached to driftwood. The plant is covered in algae and I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how to get rid of it and if it would spread to my other plants if I put it in my 75g. Thanks

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Hey guys, I recently purchased another tank from the local classifeds and it came with a plant attached to driftwood. The plant is covered in algae and I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how to get rid of it and if it would spread to my other plants if I put it in my 75g. Thanks
Pictures would certainly help, but it sounds like BBA. This particular algae has the propensity to grow on slowing growing plants, ornaments, rocks, equipment, driftwood, etc. I'm assuming the plant attached to the driftwood is likely some variety of Anubias. It can and will spread to your other plants if the conditions are favorable. However, if the conditions are well-balanced in your tank, it could very easily go away on its own. High/balanced Co2 and daily glutaraldehyde will cause it to die back. I would either cut back the impacted leaves, or remove the plant completely before putting it in the tank. I've also read that people have success doing a low-concentrated "mild bleach" dip, but have not tried this myself.

Reactions: cichlid.aus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store