black arow with bucktooth tetra?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Yeah there isnt a good reason for any of my fishes to be eating live fish, but its just so COOL!! Other then that I could really care less if they ate pellets or live.
As for my wolfy Its been almost a month and he is still acting the same..always hiding..ive just given up and decided to just let him be..just as long that he is healthy.
I take it you are quite young and inexperienced at this hobby. :(

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
If you wanna feed live just try tossing some worms in there, my red wolf loves those, and they have a much better nutrient profile and way less of a chance of transmitting disease.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Feeders from store is no good. If you want occasional live, get your self a male guppy and 3 females, wait a few month and you'll pretty much have healthy feeders. Or you can do the same with a pair of convicts.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Do u guys think the arowana would be ok living with the bucktooth tetras?

Hell, might as well just put it with some piranhas.

Yeah there isnt a good reason for any of my fishes to be eating live fish, but its just so COOL!!
I can understand someone appreciating the ability to watch a dynamic predator do it's thing. I feed live on the rare occasion just to enjoy the show, most members here have. I am very concerned that your heart isn't in the right place for your pets, however.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
If you really want to see it breed your own. If you put 1 male and 4 female guppys in a tank you should have a fry of aanywhere from 20-120 babies you can raise in a month or so to be decent sized feeders, or throw in the bucktooth tetras haha they'll get eaten quick

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I'm surprised no one mentioned tank size concerning the Aro. which will need a much larger tank very quickly. As for the Red/Hi Fin/Rainbow Wolf Erythrinus erythrinus they max out at 10 inches but smaller is usually the norm and they're probably one of the most peaceful(in a comm. not with conspecifics) if not most peaceful of the wolves. So it is unlikely you'd have a problem keeping the Aro and Red together long term.
I keep a shoal of exos (9) with my 3 rbp and in 4 months I've never had a problem. The exos are super active and fun to watch. They mostly keep to themselves IMO (chasing eachother around and interacting with only eachother.) I've also got a pleco that they never bother.

when i first got my exos I read a lot about how they are only good for species only tanks. I'd say Give it a shot. Just have a back up plan if things go wrong. Also watch out for exos disappearing from the wolf

Sent from my LG-P769 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Unfortunately 4 months is hardly a long time, some fish take 4 months just to settle in. Also what your seeing with the Exo's chasing each other is due to them being in too small a school as it's not natural for a schooling fish to act aggressively to one another unless the school is too small. The aggression comes from the school being too small to be effective in the benefits that schooling brings. Instead the fish see each other as competition and vie for supremacy. As such you'll notice over time that they're picking each other apart slowly until only the most dominant of the group remain. The reason the P's haven't got to them is probably a combo of 2 reasons. The Exo's are probably too small for the P to expend the energy to catch them and Exo's are wicked fast and agile. It's how they survive attacking larger fish as they're notorious fin, scale and flesh eaters. Their ability to turn quickly away from a threat from their prey and their ability to dash make them tough to catch. As for them being eaten by the Wolf, if it happens it'll be really slowly. Wolves are ambush predators, even Red's which are more active than most and the Exo's will easily be able to avoid most of his attempts to eat them. Only real concern there is the Exo's eating the Wolf alive as he's a very lethargic fish and would be a easy target for the Exo's as he maintains his ambush position often. The Aro would also be a prime target as they're more graceful than fast and when they do put a move on it's to jump. As such your Aro will probably spend a lot of time hitting your canopy with the Exo's in the tank.

runninlow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2012
minnesota
Wow so many people already judging my age.. hahaha im actually 27...I love all my fishes its been my hobbie for about 10 years now. Ive own piranhas, gars, cats, flower horns and even had a salt water set up for about 6 years now.
Its just amazing to see these predators feed.
And of course my heart is in this hobbie. I love my wolfy he is still one of my favor fishes. Im sadden to see him so shy now. He use to always want me to feed him and always followed me around when he was in his 29 gallon. But since moved to the 75 gallon he just seem so sad.
As for tank size both of my buddies are in the 75 gallon. I do have a 120 gallon sitting but that wont come out till I actually need to use it.
The wifey hates it that I have so many tank set up and my own little betta room. So yeah these awesome fishes always excites me.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Wow so many people already judging my age.. hahaha im actually 27...I love all my fishes its been my hobbie for about 10 years now. Ive own piranhas, gars, cats, flower horns and even had a salt water set up for about 6 years now.
Its just amazing to see these predators feed.
And of course my heart is in this hobbie. I love my wolfy he is still one of my favor fishes. Im sadden to see him so shy now. He use to always want me to feed him and always followed me around when he was in his 29 gallon. But since moved to the 75 gallon he just seem so sad.
As for tank size both of my buddies are in the 75 gallon. I do have a 120 gallon sitting but that wont come out till I actually need to use it.
The wifey hates it that I have so many tank set up and my own little betta room. So yeah these awesome fishes always excites me.
It is doubtless that watching these preds eat is a good time. Just feed healthy, buy some fancy guppys or some platys for it to eat instead of feeders. Or worms. Worms are awesome. My red hi fin is at 7 inches (grown from 3 inches in 4 months) and BLASTS his prey. He doesn't stop until its in his stomach. I breed guppys for a weekly live snack. Gut loaded w/ hikari.

runninlow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2012
minnesota
It is doubtless that watching these preds eat is a good time. Just feed healthy, buy some fancy guppys or some platys for it to eat instead of feeders. Or worms. Worms are awesome. My red hi fin is at 7 inches (grown from 3 inches in 4 months) and BLASTS his prey. He doesn't stop until its in his stomach. I breed guppys for a weekly live snack. Gut loaded w/ hikari.

thanks!! yeah right now i have a full tank full of cleaned gold fishes and roseys.. my wolfy only gets a nice treat here and there but yes! Hikari is the way to go. ill try the worm thing ill let to see some of that action happen.

thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store