Black arowana question

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
They can but the chances are extremely slim. I've probably only seen a few with drop eye over the past 15 years.

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
I've been keeping black arowana for roughly 50 years and have never had D/E in any of the examples I've seen. Anecdotal evidence suggests that Asian breeders have purposefully bred genetically defective silvers for decades, likely because they've identified breeders that are prolific and it's easier to make up bogus stories about 'yeah, your arowana looked downward too often while searching for food' or some other BS than it is to find genetically ideal fish pairs that are also often randy.

Silver arowana are genetically predisposed to known common faults like drop eye due exclusively to irresponsible breeding practices. Once black arowana have been bred in captivity to the same degree you may suspect that they too will have some similarly heinous problem as long as they come from the same Asian fish farms.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
I've been keeping black arowana for roughly 50 years and have never had D/E in any of the examples I've seen. Anecdotal evidence suggests that Asian breeders have purposefully bred genetically defective silvers for decades, likely because they've identified breeders that are prolific and it's easier to make up bogus stories about 'yeah, your arowana looked downward too often while searching for food' or some other BS than it is to find genetically ideal fish pairs that are also often randy.

Silver arowana are genetically predisposed to known common faults like drop eye due exclusively to irresponsible breeding practices. Once black arowana have been bred in captivity to the same degree you may suspect that they too will have some similarly heinous problem as long as they come from the same Asian fish farms.
What about the Silver arowanas that are imported from South America? Those seem to get drop eye as well.

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
What about the Silver arowanas that are imported from South America? Those seem to get drop eye as well.
The part of the world I'm in does not import Silvers from So/Am that I've ever noticed due to the comparative logistical inconvenience. I can't comment on them though propagating genetic faults through unethical breeding practices are the issue here; not the ethnicity of the breeder if that's your question.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Silver arowana are genetically predisposed to known common faults like drop eye due exclusively to irresponsible breeding practices.
I was asking in regard to this statement since Silvers imported from South America are labeled as wild caught (I don't know if they actually are or they are being bred in a farm over there).

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
Heritable genetic faults rarely become the norm in the wild. It takes a breeder to make a genetic fault the new norm.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Albino silvers suffer from Same possibility of drop eye? Sorry to derail I’m curious

feeling2good

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 30, 2008
USA
Wild silvers get DE as easily as captive ones. I've had both in the past.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store