Adhlc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Gorgeous! Are they in their own tank, or are they with your Frontosa?

Reactions: Razzo

Razzo

Piranha
MFK Member
May 18, 2008
Northern Indiana
Gorgeous! Are they in their own tank, or are they with your Frontosa?
Thank you :)

The original plan was to put them in with the gibberosa in the 240-gallon tank; however, Palau has exceeding my expectations and I have decided to keep him with some females in the 40-gallon in hopes of photographing some fry at the mouth of a shell. Palau has been thining out the herd in the 40. I had to remove the subdominant male to a 10-gallon hospital tank and he has since recovered and been placed in the 240 with the Gibbs. He also started beating up one of the females and I wasn't able to react fast enough to save her :(

The remaining trio in the 40 seems to be working at this time.

Thanks again!

Russ

Adhlc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Thank you :)

The original plan was to put them in with the gibberosa in the 240-gallon tank; however, Palau has exceeding my expectations and I have decided to keep him with some females in the 40-gallon in hopes of photographing some fry at the mouth of a shell. Palau has been thining out the herd in the 40. I had to remove the subdominant male to a 10-gallon hospital tank and he has since recovered and been placed in the 240 with the Gibbs. He also started beating up one of the females and I wasn't able to react fast enough to save her :(

The remaining trio in the 40 seems to be working at this time.

Thanks again!

Russ
That's great! I love Calvus and Compressiceps. I'm in the middle of setting up a tank for one or two right now actually. Still not sure what type or color I'm after, but you're making a strong case for the black ones!

As with your Frontosa tank, I would love to see some full tanks of the 40 housing these beauties!

Reactions: Razzo

Razzo

Piranha
MFK Member
May 18, 2008
Northern Indiana
That's great! I love Calvus and Compressiceps. I'm in the middle of setting up a tank for one or two right now actually. Still not sure what type or color I'm after, but you're making a strong case for the black ones!

As with your Frontosa tank, I would love to see some full tanks of the 40 housing these beauties!
Can't believe I don't have an FTS of the 40 calvus? They are due for a water change and re-aquascape this weekend. After I clean it up and re-scape, I'll start shooting again and post an FTS.

Also, I'd be happy to help with the Altolamps. I've kept and bred many through the years.

My alltime fav is probably my old wild Muzi gold head comp group. I didn't think my calvus BCWP group could be beat for calvus but I must say, I am very happy with the current group and Palau. Just love altolamps I guess :)

Razzo

Piranha
MFK Member
May 18, 2008
Northern Indiana
Here's a few old pics of that Muzi group. Pics were shot with slow settings before I started using the overhead flash technique. I regret not having this male Muzi anymore - he was amazing! Wish I could shoot him with my current skill set :(

Couple of the females getting "biffy" with each other

Reactions: Bonytang

Adhlc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Here's a few old pics of that Muzi group. Pics were shot with slow settings before I started using the overhead flash technique. I regret not having this male Muzi anymore - he was amazing! Wish I could shoot him with my current skill set :(

Couple of the females getting "biffy" with each other
Oh my god! What a coincidence - I have that second photo saved on my phone as a reference. Those are exactly what I want. Where'd you order them from?

Razzo

Piranha
MFK Member
May 18, 2008
Northern Indiana
Oh my god! What a coincidence - I have that second photo saved on my phone as a reference. Those are exactly what I want. Where'd you order them from?
I MISS that group!!!! That male as amazing!!! I got them from a friend who used to be my importer before retiring for health reasons.

I have not seen his equal in the US.

BTW: they are "Muzi." I am totally biased to Muzi. The import market, these days, is trying to get away from collection points on gold head comps. I do not want Kasanga. I love the golden-orange from Muzi (as collected by "_ _ "). I am looking for them too.

Adhlc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I MISS that group!!!! That male as amazing!!! I got them from a friend who used to be my importer before retiring for health reasons.

I have not seen his equal in the US.

BTW: they are "Muzi." I am totally biased to Muzi. The import market, these days, is trying to get away from collection points on gold head comps. I do not want Kasanga. I love the golden-orange from Muzi (as collected by "_ _ "). I am looking for them too.
I wasn't aware of all that! I see places like WetSpot in Oregon have "Gold Face" Compressiceps. Do you think these will be anything like your Muzis?

It's a real shame no one took over for your friend. I hope he's doing well!

Razzo

Piranha
MFK Member
May 18, 2008
Northern Indiana
I wasn't aware of all that! I see places like WetSpot in Oregon have "Gold Face" Compressiceps. Do you think these will be anything like your Muzis?...
I know the collector at the lake who exported to my friend and the same collector supplies my two current trusted importers. If Muzi shows up on one of their lists, I will probably jump in. Historically, we don't see Muzi all that often.

I wish, I could have a redo and photograph my old Muzi group with my current remotely triggered overhead flash technique.

Reactions: Adhlc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store