Black crappie in aqurium

Pumpkinseed

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sounds like they take well to aquarium life. Is your aquarium heated?
No, it's not heated, but it's on the first floor, and I keep the house at 68 or higher. They did take well, the only difficulty being they cannot be placed in the same tank with any aggressive fish, a sunfish will beat them down, even a much smaller one.

4wheelvfr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Southern Illinois
I'd love a group of crappie in my 1000g tank, but I'm not too thrilled about feeding live. Getting them on pellets would be awesome, but I've seen very few, if any, accounts of folks getting them on prepared foods.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd love a group of crappie in my 1000g tank, but I'm not too thrilled about feeding live. Getting them on pellets would be awesome, but I've seen very few, if any, accounts of folks getting them on prepared foods.
Most crappie will have no problem eating frozen foods, very few require live.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
but to be fair, there are very few people keeping crappie. they're supposed to have a varied diet in nature, which translates to they'll eat pretty much anything they can fit in their mouth.
they raise them in hatcheries, they get pellets there.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
but to be fair, there are very few people keeping crappie. they're supposed to have a varied diet in nature, which translates to they'll eat pretty much anything they can fit in their mouth.
they raise them in hatcheries, they get pellets there.
and even in hatchery, they are difficult to get them on pellets. To be fair most crappies in hatchery are usually hybrids. Most hybrids in aquaculture are easy to get them on pellets than their pure parental species.

4wheelvfr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Southern Illinois
I'm conflicted right now. The big tank is either getting Cichla or it's being turned into a cool water native tank. Big difference in requirements, so who knows what'll happen. I would love to see a group of black crappie in my tank, but Cichla are just so damn cool. We'll see what happens.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm conflicted right now. The big tank is either getting Cichla or it's being turned into a cool water native tank. Big difference in requirements, so who knows what'll happen. I would love to see a group of black crappie in my tank, but Cichla are just so damn cool. We'll see what happens.
There'd be no doubt in my mind which to go with but then again I'm not you :). Who needs cichlids is my philosophy.

4wheelvfr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Southern Illinois
There'd be no doubt in my mind which to go with but then again I'm not you :). Who needs cichlids is my philosophy.
I've kept natives for a long time as well as pretty much everything else you can think of, including salt and reef tanks. Peacock Bass were some of the coolest fish I've ever kept. Pain in the ass sometimes, but pretty damn awesome.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store