Black diamond babies and post pard questions

wg666666

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
Philly
I’ve got a pair of 20 mo th old black diamonds that had their first litter yesterday. 2 healthy babies! My questions are….how long til babies start to eat, (presently in a floating plastic tank inside mom and dads tank) with some live blackworms….and mom is very timidly eating only nightcrawlers yesterday and today. Not her usual big appetite for shrimp. How long til she starts eating normally? Also, the make I’m pretty sure was mating with her hours after she gave birth! Is this typical? Thanks!

AC79517E-600F-408D-A08A-10586FE6079E.jpeg

3FF3A498-1C77-410B-94C9-334F93EC9688.jpeg

2B1598A5-81B1-4EEC-96AF-4C03766B97BC.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Ansorgii

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
South-West-Germany
Male Stingray are notoriously horny, not surprised at all. Its common to keep one male and multiple females so you can spread his aggression, a lot bite the females while or trying to mate, some to the point it won't heal anymore. Your female might have been to weak to resist.

Also try to get them away from bloodworms, they are not good stingray food and it can be very hard and time consuming to get them to eat sth. properly once they are used to them.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Congrats! Nice looking pups, and parent.
I would also ditch the black worms for the pups. Try really small pieces of earthworm or shrimp. Small is key. I've had new pups take up to a week before they eat. Frozen mysid shrimp would be worth trying.
Sounds like typical behavior of the male. No doubt the female is tired and stressed. Maybe separate the two for awhile and let her recover.
I would also add more/bigger holes to the container the pups are in to get more flow going through.

Reactions: flyingsaucer owner
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store