Black Diamond (coal slag) is it safe?

bulldovii

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
Fairfield, Illinois
I'm trying to find out if this stuff is safe. Anybody used it long term. Any unexplained fish deaths or unexplained anomalies in their black diamond tank.

This stuff is ridiculously cheap and just want to make sure there are no problems with it before me or anybody else takes the plunge.

There's a lot of pics and people using it but not a lot in the way of convincing me of its safety.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

twistedsnap

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2009
southern il
Ive had it in two tanks for a while only problem ive had is in my 55 the fine gets stirred up and gets in my filters

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jschall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2009
Chico, California
It is supposedly inert. It better be safe, because I just started a tank cycling with 150lbs of 20-40 grit black diamond.

It looks great so far, insanely cheap, beautiful sparkly glassy black.

Make sure you wash it well.

Coal slag is a glassy substance left over in the bottom of the furnace after coal is burnt. The heavy metals, etc that are in coal are gone.

AllAlaskan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2012
Mat-Su, Alaska, USA
I have been debating on using the same stuff in my tanks. I had heard it was bad for aquariums but then hear it is just fine. I am looking to use it in a 40b and a 55. I am considering building a 400+ gallon this summer (and an "office" room it will be in) in my house and if I do I would consider using it in there too if or when the time comes.

zukiGS500

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Mke
As far as altering the chemistry of the water or leaching something, it's safe.

However, I bought a few bags, don't remember what grit, that contained a lot of glass like slivers. It seemed like each time I rinsed a bucket or had to replant something that had been dug up I would end up pulling 2 or 3 slivers out of my hand. Used it in a couple of different tanks for about 6 months, never had any deaths, everybody was happy. I just figured it a fish ever swallowed one of those, it wouldn't turn out so well.

bulldovii

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
Fairfield, Illinois
As far as altering the chemistry of the water or leaching something, it's safe.

However, I bought a few bags, don't remember what grit, that contained a lot of glass like slivers. It seemed like each time I rinsed a bucket or had to replant something that had been dug up I would end up pulling 2 or 3 slivers out of my hand. Used it in a couple of different tanks for about 6 months, never had any deaths, everybody was happy. I just figured it a fish ever swallowed one of those, it wouldn't turn out so well.
These are the things I'm talking about.

Does anyone have plecos? I have read on a few other sites that it's not good for them.

Has anyone ever used it for a year or more . I'm afraid of long term effects. A lot of fish can put up with sub-optimal conditions short term.
I'm just trying to bring up some points to look at.
Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store