Black Diamond Sand Blasting Sand

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
ThePlantedTank.net has a whole long thread about this stiff and everyone was saying positive things, so I went and got a couple bags of it. Does anywhere else here use this stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
yup i had read that thread... all positives there..

care to share a pic of the sand... does that look like the pic i posted?

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
I bought the petco brand black sand and it seems to be very similar to my pool filter sand. But at about $20 for 20lbs why not look for a cheaper option

Sent from my LGL55C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
This is just my guess but it's called blasting sand for a reason. So I'm guessing it's very sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
There are different grades. I have the fine stuff in my 90g and it's not sharp, nor has it caused any health problems for my fish. My logperch and chub sift it and their faces are fine. If it had chemicals or anything in it I think it would have effected my darters and sculpin since they're sensitive to pollutants. And if it was releasing significant copper or something my crawfish would probably not be healthy or alive, growing and molting like usual.
I didn't even have to wash it much, it was less dusty than the black substrate from the pet store.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I just went through this and decided no for my SA wolf/cichlid tank.

Eatheaters will be in the sand more. Did very careful research and I have seen enough first hand reports from reputable people on various forums to make me stray away from it.

I wouldnt. Save some money. For what its worth, the PFS I got from a pool store is awesome stuff. All natural, quartz, and toxin free according to the bag. Came very clean as well - didnt really have to wash it.

Check out my most recent thread - http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?503778-SA-Tank-Substrate-Poll

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
There are different grades. I have the fine stuff in my 90g and it's not sharp, nor has it caused any health problems for my fish. My logperch and chub sift it and their faces are fine. If it had chemicals or anything in it I think it would have effected my darters and sculpin since they're sensitive to pollutants. And if it was releasing significant copper or something my crawfish would probably not be healthy or alive, growing and molting like usual.
I didn't even have to wash it much, it was less dusty than the black substrate from the pet store.
This is one thing that no one addressed in my above thread, and Id like you to go back and do so.

What EXACTLY (brand and "grit" size) do you need to buy to be 100% safe? No one could give me that info - and having read about people cutting their hands on other threads I opted against it.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
yup i had read that thread... all positives there..

care to share a pic of the sand... does that look like the pic i posted?
Go back and read TPT's threads. All of them. In detail.

There are quite a few people (Hoppy to name a big one) who wouldnt even plant with his hands because of all the cuts he said he got.

He along with others reported that cories could not survive in it.

CarvinSigX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Illinois
Good lord...I worked with this stuff daily at my last job and NEVER cut my hands.

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
I have NO clue what those people are using if they cut their hands on it. I haven't cut my hands on any sand blasting substrate. It's certainly not the regular black diamond stuff that pretty much looks like small activated carbon.

I'm not sure what grade we used since my husband bought it and I threw away the bag. I'll ask him where he got it and go look later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store